HELP! EXHAUST COUPLER MELTED!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mejim707

Took the boat out. Went through the procedures to fine tune the LS Jets on both carbs. Took my time to dial it in perfect and with new plugs watched the color to get it just right. Was running better than ever!

As most of you know, I have to clamp that lower hose to the water regulator when I stop to prevent the water from flooding the resonator. I forgot the clamp on my last and final tweak and went WOT for about 15 seconds when I noticed a drop in speed and then I remembered!!!!

Opened that back hatch and smoke was billowing everywhere and the exhaust was sizzling. I took the clamp off and turned the boat back on to get water running through it and took it back to the dock as fast as I could get there. The engine was cool to touch but the rubber coupler form the tuned pipe to the resonator had a big hole in it!

Needless to say I was sinking, quickly, while going back to the dock. Thankfully the bilge pump kept enough water out long enough to get back to the dock. The boat was not running right of course.

This couldn't have caused engine damage right? The inlet hose to the engine was not clamped so the engine was still getting water to cool. But I don't know if this would cause any other damage other than just the rubber coupler.

Any help here or advice would be awesome!

Last edited:
I picked up some new hose last night from AutoZone. The large coupler I had to buy a large cooling hose for. I am hoping that will be OK since it holds high temperature fluid anyway. The other hose I had remnants of.

Three hoses melted. The coupler, the hose from the water regulator to the tuned pipe, and the hose from the head to the tuned pipe. I think that’s it so I’m gonna go to the lake today and try it out.

Does anyone have any idea if using a coolant hose for that couple would be OK?

Did you figure out why you overheated so badly?
Yeah because I left the clamp on the lower hose going to the water regulator. I forgot about it when I was stopped so the exhaust wasn’t getting any water.

I didn’t clamp the engine cooling hose so the engine was still getting water.

Do you’ll think I’ll have any issue running a vehicle coolant hose for the coupler? It’s the only one the parts store had that was the same diameter.

I’d think since it’s for high temp fluid it should be fine for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back