Ceramic washer failure. Guess the damage

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlove

Fist time boat owner here. I picked up a 2008 speedster 215 just a week ago with only 70 hrs. Bought it knowing full well about ceramic washer failure, but was not worried as it was a 2008 and should have had metal washers from the factory. Well just my luck it had ceramic washers and they are gone!

I took the boat out yesterday for the first time for about an hour ( before knowing this) and it ran fine other than would not get above 6k RPM. Got home and pulled the supercharger and sure enough both washers were gone.

Anyways after feeling like an idiot, I got over it pulled the motor out and pulled both oil pumps.
In the front pump I found several large pieces of washer and a small amount of small fragments (in the picture it looks like there are lots of tiny fragments, but most is just dirt from my oil catch pan) . Oil pump was damaged but not as bad as many I have seen posted.

PTO oil pump is in similar condition, but in the screen I found a small ball of metal that is not washer. No other fragments of ceramic or metal (big or small) were in the rear oil pump screen / pick up. The ball appears to be aluminum as it is not magnetic. This has me concerned as I'm not sure what it is from it's not like anything else I have ever seen in a failed / failing engine. I was an auto mechanic for 10 years and have seen my fair share of engines coming apart.
The thing that is making me scratch my head is the complete lack of metal ( or ceramic particles in the engine. Both oil screens we're almost spotless other than the large pieces mentioned, oil looks good with no real signs of metal, oil filter has only a few really tiny metal flakes and no other signs of metal anywhere in the engine.

I was really hoping to get away with just cleaning the engine out and replacing the oil pumps but this mystery metal has me wondering if I need to pull the crank bearings. 20190504_185314.jpg20190504_191448.jpg20190504_230034_HDR.jpg20190504_230026_HDR.jpg

Wow. . .i can't help you, but my dad was an auto mechanic and I just want to say, 'you are the man", most of us would shudder and shake at the thought of pulling an engine...in our garage! Hope you find the answer. Best,

The ceramic pieces will stay in the bottom half of the cases. The right way to fix is to split the block and clean everything. You will find more pieces. You should be able to almost reconstruct both complete washers with the fragments.

The metal pieces are from the flywheel and completely normal.

If I were you, I would replace the timing chain also. You don't know if any pieces went through it and stretched it. If the timing chain breaks, the failure could be catastrophic. If you're careful and have some help, you can actually replace the chain while the bottom case is off. Here's a picture of the damage caused when the timing chain broke at WOT.

Chester

Attachments

• 2014-07-16 18.06.49.jpg
    2014-07-16 18.06.49.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 68
Had mine done by a dealer, they replaced both oil pumps, screens etc and showed me where the oil pump "gear/impeller" had started to grind against the housing. I was amazed that they did it all without pulling the engine. Looks like you're off to a good start, will be so much easier to work outside of the hull!

If it makes you feel any better, I have put another 100+ hours on it with no further issues

Had mine done by a dealer, they replaced both oil pumps, screens etc and showed me where the oil pump "gear/impeller" had started to grind against the housing. I was amazed that they did it all without pulling the engine. Looks like you're off to a good start, will be so much easier to work outside of the hull!

If it makes you feel any better, I have put another 100+ hours on it with no further issues
Where and what dealer? For someone's future reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back