cavitation problem?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

sprink81

so i bought a 2000 challenger with twin 717s 2 months ago. it ran great except it seemed to have an occasional cavitation issue when trying to plane out. was running fine over the past weekend until suddenly it wouldnt plane out at all. just wondering where i should start looking for the problem. any help would be appreciated. thanks

If it just stopped running... I would be looking at your Carbon seals. when they give out... the boat won't move.

On the original design, there was an O-ring holding the stainless ring up on the carbon ring. That O-ring will fail over time, and when that happens, the stainless ring will slide back, and reduce the pressure on the carbon ring... in turn... allowing the pump to suck them apart, and draw air into the pump. The result is cavitation to the point of not moving more than 5 MPH.

thats exactly it, no more than 5 mph. thanks for the info. i'll be down to the lake next weekend and hopefully get it all squared away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back