Catalina..

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Catalina

My buddy and I are in for sure and our other buddy may come as well. So we have 2 or 3 in our boat. Day trip is the only way we will be able to go because we both work on Sunday morning. This should be a good time!!! See you all on the 30th!!!!

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&i...&split=1&gl=us&cid=4675404300775493298&li=lmd

I have only launched out of Newport so Im not for sure on these directions but this is what I found. With a 7 am launch Im not sure that there will be too many places open to eat before we go. Maybe we should grab some breakfast when we get there. Anyone got any ideas of how to spend the day over there? Any plans? My buddy and I are up for whatever. Anybody got a rough count of whos still in?

from San Diego, come up the 5, go "west" on 22, exit valley view/bolsa chica, turn "left", go about 3-5 miles to "Edinger" make "left", follow to boat launch.

Gate fee is 10 buks for 24hrs. WILL BE on my end, a DAY TRIP. Figure get there, check all out, head back at noon/1pm. Then, we can figure a later trip in the Summer for a weekend or something.

As for food, i'll bring dozen or 2 donuts, other people wanna bring some stuff,..cool. I'll be there at 7, dont think I want a steak/burger at 7am...:rofl:
Other than that, leave at 7;30am, and ROK THAT SH**.

Directions from North of Huntington, get on 405, south, will turn into 5south right at the valley view/bolsa chica off ramp, go "SOUTH" and turn on Edinger.:cheers:

sweet. figured id bring one gas can full just incase, anybody wanna lug my sh** around ? lol. am i the only one who will be too scared to not bring an extra gas can ? were not gonna haul balls there aright ? cause i'll end up just meeting you at the island if thats the case lol. please leave bread crumbs so i dont get lost. my ski is no rocket thats for sure.

no, not the white one. the YELLOW one.
97.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
only a few days away, we get a head count yet ? we have a meet time ? might stay up there the night before. wondering about what everyone is wearing for the trip? anybody rockin goggles, or am i just a wuss? nedless to say i have out grown my wet suit, might have to pick one up before saturday. figured id bring a back pack with some walk around clothes ziplocked up. where we leavin the skis while we grab food ? im pretty sure they arent gona let us beach them in the swimming area lol. what did you guys bring last time you made the trip ?

LB 2 Catalina Trip

Hi, I'm a new member on this forum. Saw the link on PWCToday. I've done the trip to Catalina probably 30 or more times from Dana Point, Long Beach and San Pedro. Allso have done the last 3 LB2CAT races. THere are NO PWC's allowed in Anaheim Bay (the area between Huntington Harbor and the ocean. You will definitely be stopped by the sheriffs boat if you are on a PWC there. There are 3 different launch ramps in Long Beach:
Marine Stadium
Davey's Launch Ramp (right across from Marine Stadium)
Downtown Launch Ramp (near Queen Mary)
I'm down for the ride on Saturday if you guys are launching at one of The B launch ramps.
T C

Hi, I'm a new member on this forum. Saw the link on PWCToday. I've done the trip to Catalina probably 30 or more times from Dana Point, Long Beach and San Pedro. Allso have done the last 3 LB2CAT races. THere are NO PWC's allowed in Anaheim Bay (the area between Huntington Harbor and the ocean. You will definitely be stopped by the sheriffs boat if you are on a PWC there. There are 3 different launch ramps in Long Beach:
Marine Stadium
Davey's Launch Ramp (right across from Marine Stadium)
Downtown Launch Ramp (near Queen Mary)
I'm down for the ride on Saturday if you guys are launching at one of The B launch ramps.
T C

Awesome info, tcs...guess will launch from one of those in L.B. Cant be that much farther, considering that once you've tooled thru the "Anaheim Harbor", hang right, to B line it to L.B. only takes 5 minutes.

Got an address for any of those spots/particular one?

Lb2cat

Don't know the addresses but can give directions. Both Marine Stadium and Davey's Launch Ramp are just north of Second St, west of PCH.

By land:
North on 405 to 22 West until the freeway ends which becomes 7th St. Left at PCH (south) to Westminster Ave/2nd St. Turn right and make a quick right at the first street. There will be a sign saying "Davey's Launch Ramp". Make sure your have a $10 bill for the machine to raise the gate. If going to Marine Stadium, make the second right(over the bridge) after you've turned on Westminster Ave/2nd St and follow the street as it directs you to Marine Stadium. The only drawback to these two ramps is that it's a long, slow, wakeless zone to get out to the coast (about 25 mninutes).

DOWNTOWN LAUNCH RAMP
The best place to meet/launch for a Catalina run is a liitle further of a drive on the freeway but is better due to the very short wakeless zone (5 minutes) is the Downtown Launch Ramp.
By land:
North on the 405 to the 710 South all the way to the end of that freeway. There will be signs for the Queen Mary offramp. Use that offramp but when you get to the end of it, make sure to look for the sign saying "boat launch ramp". I believe it's a left turn at the end of the offramp. Then it gets a little tricky so go slow and keep looking at the posted signs. I have missed it a couple of times and ended up going either north on the 710 or west across the LA River into LB, by mistake. Maybe if it's decided to use this launch ramp, which I reccomend, we can meet at a location before the launch ramp and those whose wish to, can follow me there. (I promise I won't get lost again). Again, $10 for ramp fee.

BTW,
It is always best to leave for Catalina as early as possible (7-8AM) and return fairly early in the day as well. A few other tips:

1. Have a buddy system where you pair up and try to keep an eye on your buddy so nobody gets too far separated from his buddy.

2. Everyone, but at LEAST one of the two buddies, should have a GPS and know how to use it for navigation.

3. Everyone should have a VHF radio or a charged cellphone.

4. It is a good idea to wear a wetsuit or at least have one in your storage compartment on your ski.

Other HIGHLY recommended items to have either attached to you or on/in your ski:

gloves
boots
goggles/sunglasses
plenty of water
flares (required when going past breakwater)
horn, whistle, orange flag, signal mirror
energy bars
helmet (I prefer to wear one)
tow rope
tool kit
duct tape
tie wraps

Optional, but good idea items:

dive mask, fins
membership in tow service (Towboat US, SeaTow etc.)
extra oil, spark plugs (especially for 2 strokes)
cash, credit cards for fuel
Hope this helps. Will post more if I think of anything else. Not trying to be a "know-it-all" but I have had to learn the hard way on a few of these things.
OK to PM or e-mail me if you want.
Let's ride.
T C

this helps me atleast lol. i was wondering what to bring. you think a 2-3mil wet suit would be good enough ? plannin on picking up a half suit today. and about these goggles, do atv goggles work just fine ? i would rain-x them of course, just wondering about them fogging up inside. anybody waering goggles or wet suits ?

I wear Oakley goggles mostly, but have Scott and several other brands as well. Good idea to have different shades of lenses for varying light conditions. I never have a problem with mine fogging up when I treat them with Rainex before wearing them. 2-3 mil wetsuit should be plenty warm enough. Has anybody decided where to meet to launch the pwc's yet? And at what time? I would like to be back in L.B. by noon or 1PM , if possible. There is an open house at Corona Yamaha that I would like to go to. I guess there will be some great deals on gear etc. BTW, it is open to the public, just on the north side of the 91 fwy at Lincoln in Corona. It's open from 10AM till about 6PM for the open house on Saturday.
T C

L.B.

7am works for me, and roll'n out at noon from Catalina works...since you know the launch'n ramps, you call it, and WE'LL be there...:cheers:

we still doing this thing or not ? i need infor people ! whats the final say on launch ramp location? we meeting at 7 at the ramp, or 6:30? eh? who, where, and when?! !!!!!!!

For those with pwc's, launching from Downtown LB Launch ramp seems to be the best place. Is 7AM launch time ok with everyone? Here are the gps coordinates that sould be programmed into your gps:

Avalon Harbor (these were the coordinates given to us for last years LB2CAT Race, just a little bit north on the actual entrance to the harbor, but within visual distance)

N 33 43.400'
W 118 11.000'

Queens Gate entrance to LB harbor

N 33 21.461
W 118 19.400

There should be a gps for every pair of "buddies" as it is VERY easy to get separated in the channel. Ask me how I know. Let's just say I learned the hard way, but it could have been much worse.

Also EVERY rider should have a CHARGED cell phone and/or a waterproof VHS radio and a tow rope with hooks on BOTH ends.

If anyone wants to PM or e-mail, or phone me, feel free to do so. Oh, the best place to meet up on the water with the boat guys, assuming they don't want to come by water (wakeless zone) to the ramp, would be along the buoy line in next to the Queen Mary. Say about 7:30AM. I'll be on the red and grey Sea Doo RXP with #371 on the front sides of the hull. Not going to be a race to Avalon, just a fun ride.

See you Saturday!
T C (949) 574-4832 OK to call at nite as I'm usually up pretty late.

Shoot me

Sorry guys...unfortunetly/fortunetly....good news is that I scored on a nutha boat (99 speedster),..bad news, hope'n that potential buyer of my Sportster 1800 (Catalina boat) would hold out til Sunday, but, wasnt the case. Plans on there end changed, and wanted boat as of last night..:rant: So, hate say'n it, but new boat aint to PAR for this run, but WILL DEFINTLY be ready for nutha run, when another date is posted......:banghead:

Dude..tell me about it. I HOPE, everyone still going, and me/wife will, no hesitation roll, if we can catch a ride with someone, I'll even pay for gas....

from all the post, i'm sure people still rok'n to go. I had 2-boats at time of startingthis, but have sold both. Was hope'n to still have the Sportster for this, but buyer plans changed...

Just checking up on you guys...

Kinda hoping to see how many went and find some pics, but I guess you got delayed...

Better post some pics of the turnout and marine life, and whatever else you guys see that is interesting.

I am INSANELY jealous that I cannot go...:(

this is bullsh*t. how many weeks ago did we plan this ? and everyone has dropped out? its down to two now.

Back