Flushing while on a beach

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

PGVR

I am planning a multi-day fishing trip to an island 60km away from our mainland.

My plan is to arrive at the island at high tide because I want to 'beach' the jet ski rather than let it bob around in the saltwater ocean and get hammered by the waves.

While 'beached' I want to flush/wash down the jet ski using a 12V wash down pump kit. I have an auxiliary battery installed in my jet ski (2018 GTI) for this. I also have a collapsible water bucket which I will fill with clean fresh water with some salt-away added. I will be flushing the jet ski every evening after a day out fishing (expect to there 2-3 days).

My questions are:
  1. While beached will the jet ski not suck up sand through the intake grill while I am flushing?
  2. If yes, can I place a rubber camping mat under the jet ski to avoid any sand from being sucked up into the pump
  3. Is there another option other than using the rubber camping mat? i.e. lift the jet ski nx feet off the sand (we will be a team of 3 guys each with our own jet skis)
  4. Do I really need to flush or can I wait till I get back to the mainland to flush?

I remember one op had a issue while beached was that the waves would wash sand up the backend of the ski and the sand ended up freezing up his IBR gate resulting in IBR codes and messing up his day. So beware of that scenario also.
The exhaust system is supposedly self draining except for the remote intercooler models.
I am not a salt water guy but I suspect many skis do not get flushed every day after each use, especially if it’s as inconvenient as your scenario.

My questions are:
  1. While beached will the jet ski not suck up sand through the intake grill while I am flushing?
  2. If yes, can I place a rubber camping mat under the jet ski to avoid any sand from being sucked up into the pump
  3. Is there another option other than using the rubber camping mat? i.e. lift the jet ski nx feet off the sand (we will be a team of 3 guys each with our own jet skis)
  4. Do I really need to flush or can I wait till I get back to the mainland to flush?

1. Yes for sure. DO NOT start that ski while it's sitting on the sand.

2. I'm not sure of the "suction power" of the intake grate when idling. Maybe try starting it on the trailer and get under it with a piece of paper to gauge how strong it is.

3. ??

4. I'd wait, but give it a very thorough flushing with Salt-away when you can.

The problem with salt water riding is not the salt water. It's the salt deposits it leaves behind when it dries.

If you ride every day, it should rinse out the salt deposits. Still a good idea to flush with fresh when you can, though.

Another thing I would recommend doing prior to the trip is to spray the entire engine bay with a lanolin-based spray such as Lanox or Fluid Film.

I remember one op had a issue while beached was that the waves would wash sand up the backend of the ski and the sand ended up freezing up his IBR gate resulting in IBR codes and messing up his day. So beware of that scenario also.
The exhaust system is supposedly self draining except for the remote intercooler models.
I am not a salt water guy but I suspect many skis do not get flushed every day after each use, especially if it’s as inconvenient as your scenario.
What do you mean by 'self draining'? Does it mean that salt water does not collect or 'dam up' in the exhaust system?

1. Yes for sure. DO NOT start that ski while it's sitting on the sand.

2. I'm not sure of the "suction power" of the intake grate when idling. Maybe try starting it on the trailer and get under it with a piece of paper to gauge how strong it is.

3. ??

4. I'd wait, but give it a very thorough flushing with Salt-away when you can.

The problem with salt water riding is not the salt water. It's the salt deposits it leaves behind when it dries.

If you ride every day, it should rinse out the salt deposits. Still a good idea to flush with fresh when you can, though.

Another thing I would recommend doing prior to the trip is to spray the entire engine bay with a lanolin-based spray such as Lanox or Fluid Film.
1. Understood
2. Great idea, I will try that
3. I could get 3 other guys and lift the back end of the jet ski off the ground and pace small logs under the ski to raise it off the beach
4. I guess I could do that as well

What do you mean by 'self draining'? Does it mean that salt water does not collect or 'dam up' in the exhaust system?

Self draining is how BRP describes their exhaust system in the service manual when it talks about flushing and storage of the ski. What I assume it means if the ski is in somewhat of a level position the water that has accumulated in the exhaust system during use and flushing gravity drains out of the system. I would say it does not dam up but would not go as far to at that a small amount doesn’t collect evaporate and leave a salt residue inside the exhaust system.

My suggestion is there is no harm having salt water remain in your exhaust for a few days. It would take a few weeks for any negative impact. You don‘t need to be overly concerned and just enjoy your trip and flush thoroughly when you get back.

As long as you leave the ski in the sea water you are ok. It’s the drying out that causes problems with metals. When salt is in water it disassociates into sodium and chlorine ion. When salt water dries out the chlorine ion is so powerful it literally rips out a metal atom from the stainless steel and leaves a small pocket in the stainless steel surface.

I agree with Sydax and Milehighguy303. I live in Florida and run in nothing but salt water, which is both a blessing and a curse. Water is beautiful, salt not so much. That said, a couple days in salt water isn't going to hurt anything. You bought a jetski to have fun, so make sure you have fun. Hit it with Salt-a-Way when you get home and don't sweat the small stuff. Just be glad you bought a Seadoo and not a Yamaha. My buddy just had one of his Yamaha Waverunner motors rebuilt after someone he let use it sucked all kinds of saltwater and sand into it and it was all through the motor. Rest easy as that Seadoo closed loop cooling is the bees knees when it comes to saltwater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back