Carbon Ring Seal Replacement Question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JPass

So our boat is 6 years old a buddy of ours with a 2012 Speedster just had his carbon ring fail this past weekend. Ours leak a little at the moment, so I wanted to replace them (we have twin motors) sooner rather than later. Then I began looking into the kits.

I always prefer to go OEM as much as possible, but there's a huge difference in price between aftermarket kits and the OEM ones. OEM is roughly $400+ compared to $150 for aftermarket.

Looking for some feedback on those who've replaced theirs with OEM and the aftermarket kits. Considering we just dropped $500+ on a new cover, the aftermarkets will be much easier on the wallet, but I don't want to go cheap and regret it.

Here's a pic of one of the seals as it sits today. Being that the clamps aren't the factory ones, I'm assuming the previous owner may have swapped them out already, but not positive.

20170108_135418.jpg

Interested in feedback on this as well. I am not currently having problems with leaking, but for a winter project, given the age of my boat, I think it would be a great idea to replace the carbon ring seals and the wear rings in the pumps. I'll be over here with a bag of popcorn waiting for a good opinion on aftermarket rings....... ;-)

In my experience... the aftermarket Stainless rings are OK. Actually, there is a thicker one that I feel is better than OEM. (seals up better) The boots are hit and miss, but most are OK. The carbon ring them selves... well... I only use the OEM. Over the years, Ive seen too many aftermarket versions crack, or wear prematurely.

Since your boat is only 6 years old... I would bet you only need to replace the carbon ring. I'm guessing the boot and stainless ring are still OK.

As far as the price... it seems like the 4-tech versions are more expensive than the early rings, but I'm sure if you shop around you will find them for a good price.

I am going to take the air cleaners off and check better but can these leak just sitting in the water and not running? I'm still trying to find my leak and plan on taking stuff out to dig around and look for water trailes or marks

I am going to take the air cleaners off and check better but can these leak just sitting in the water and not running? I'm still trying to find my leak and plan on taking stuff out to dig around and look for water trailes or marks

They can leak if the bellows have a leak or if the carbon ring is thin, cracked or chunked, but if that was the case it would leak even more under power.

I seen on ebay a guy makes a fork like tool on a pry bar to help with replacing the carbon seal and holding everything back to install or remove the clips would this be something worth buying? I have not done this before but since I work in cars for a living I value a tool made for the job to make it easier and faster.

There are a couple of tools that will make the job easier for sure.

Floating Ring Tool. There are 2 different types depending on engine (155 vs 215/255).

Drive Shaft C-Clip remover

What exactly is this OEM $400+ kit? Is there a part # / ebay listing I could check out?

Roger on that. However, you might want to checkout seadoo part # 295501143. I believe this is around $89 and includes parts 272000177 AND 272000176. Would reduce your price by ~$110. But please double check. I have one of these kits ready to install on my 2012 Speedster 150 HO.

Roger on that. However, you might want to checkout seadoo part # 295501143. I believe this is around $89 and includes parts 272000177 AND 272000176. Would reduce your price by ~$110. But please double check. I have one of these kits ready to install on my 2012 Speedster 150 HO.

That kit you reference (below pic) doesn't include new o-rings and bellows. The bellows is what helps to keep tension on the system. Considering this part of the boat is the only thing that keeps water from entering the boat, I'd rather replace everything if I was going to do the job at all. Why risk anything for $100?

cs2.jpg

So who or were has the best parts and price on these? I see.a lot of options on these and this being new to me I don't want to buy junk. We're can I get the tools you spoke of to make this easier the only thing I've found is the one tool in ebay? Thanks

So who or were has the best parts and price on these? I see.a lot of options on these and this being new to me I don't want to buy junk. We're can I get the tools you spoke of to make this easier the only thing I've found is the one tool in ebay? Thanks

The above kit is fine as it states they are OEM, but you also need the O-rings and bellows to do the job right. Any local dealer should be able to get the parts. Maybe a site sponsor like PWC Muscle as well.

That kit you reference (below pic) doesn't include new o-rings and bellows. The bellows is what helps to keep tension on the system. Considering this part of the boat is the only thing that keeps water from entering the boat, I'd rather replace everything if I was going to do the job at all. Why risk anything for $100?
Pretty sure you missed the point. You listed a carbon ring (272000177) at $89 and the support ring (272000176) at $55. The part # I gave you includes these two parts for a combined total of $89. Doesn't mean you forgo the other parts - just that you are $110 ahead.

-mick

Pretty sure you missed the point. You listed a carbon ring (272000177) at $89 and the support ring (272000176) at $55. The part # I gave you includes these two parts for a combined total of $89. Doesn't mean you forgo the other parts - just that you are $110 ahead.

-mick

Got it. I should pay more attention with my early AM posts.

That's a huge savings for OEM from what I got from dealers.

Thanks

There are a couple of tools that will make the job easier for sure.

Floating Ring Tool. There are 2 different types depending on engine (155 vs 215/255).

Drive Shaft C-Clip remover
I have the 155 so were would I get the tools for it at? I see there are.So many options for the carbon ring kits it's hard to tell what one mine takes.

We're do you order your parts.from? Amazon or? I have a feeling this will be my next project hopefully to fix my leak

I usually order from Leaders RPM in Kalamazoo Michigan... Never an issue and solid prices seem to have EVERYTHING!

Boat just turned 92 hrs and I have no idea if they have been changed. Took it out today and I can't see a leak anywhere and a little water still gets in the boat. But the owners manual say they need serviced at50 so I'm over due maybe

What is the easiest way, to replace the carbon rings on a 1996 Speedster. My arms are not long enough. Is there a trick involved in doing this. I am actually thinking about hanging upside down while doing this. Someone talk me out of it Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back