Carbon Ring Seal Replacement Question

JPass

Water Crafts
2012 Challenger 210 SE
So our boat is 6 years old a buddy of ours with a 2012 Speedster just had his carbon ring fail this past weekend. Ours leak a little at the moment, so I wanted to replace them (we have twin motors) sooner rather than later. Then I began looking into the kits.

I always prefer to go OEM as much as possible, but there's a huge difference in price between aftermarket kits and the OEM ones. OEM is roughly $400+ compared to $150 for aftermarket.

Looking for some feedback on those who've replaced theirs with OEM and the aftermarket kits. Considering we just dropped $500+ on a new cover, the aftermarkets will be much easier on the wallet, but I don't want to go cheap and regret it.

Here's a pic of one of the seals as it sits today. Being that the clamps aren't the factory ones, I'm assuming the previous owner may have swapped them out already, but not positive.

20170108_135418.jpg

Water Crafts
2005 Sea Doo Speedster 200
Interested in feedback on this as well. I am not currently having problems with leaking, but for a winter project, given the age of my boat, I think it would be a great idea to replace the carbon ring seals and the wear rings in the pumps. I'll be over here with a bag of popcorn waiting for a good opinion on aftermarket rings....... ;-)

Dr Honda

Staff member
Water Crafts
'00 Polaris Genesis
'96 XP800
'02 Islandia 240 EFI
In my experience... the aftermarket Stainless rings are OK. Actually, there is a thicker one that I feel is better than OEM. (seals up better) The boots are hit and miss, but most are OK. The carbon ring them selves... well... I only use the OEM. Over the years, Ive seen too many aftermarket versions crack, or wear prematurely.

Since your boat is only 6 years old... I would bet you only need to replace the carbon ring. I'm guessing the boot and stainless ring are still OK.

As far as the price... it seems like the 4-tech versions are more expensive than the early rings, but I'm sure if you shop around you will find them for a good price.

Adsense

Usergroup

Administrator Moderator Premium Member