Carbon ring seal replacement and half moon clip NOT FITTING?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Replaced the carbon ring along with the bellow, steel ring, and new half moon clip

The half moon won't recede into the steel ring? No matter how hard I try it won't go inside

The two pieces came together in a kit, I would think they would fit each other

I'm almost certain it's not supposed to be on the outside, (but maybe this after market model is supposed to be?) This is for a 96' GSX 787

The old steel ring and black rubber o ring fit perfectly to each other with the o ring recessed within the steel ring

20200518_121022.jpg
20200518_121029.jpg

Here is the old steel ring and o ring
20200518_121135.jpg
20200518_121144.jpg

Here is the after market kit
20200518_122703.jpg

Last edited:
That is how it’s suppose to be. I thought the same thing when replacing mine last week. The design is different than the factory design. Have been out 4 times now and zero problems!

c35ed2d99152f8f9c359c59681a768ea.jpg

Are you sure there isn't another groove in the driveshaft? Some have more than one.
The clip should not be visible and should fit inside the hat otherwise it could come off.
Your's desnt't look like it is snapped down all the way. See if there are any burrs on t he clip ends or shaft groove.

The half moon won't recede into the steel ring? No matter how hard I try it won't go inside

I know what you mean, the c clip in that new kit is tight and won't fit, they have some kind of golden coating on them. What I did to fix it. Hit the c clip or half moon clip under a wire wheel and run 400 grit sand paper over it, getting the coating off, little at a time, til it slides into the SS hat.

Are you sure there isn't another groove in the driveshaft? Some have more than one.
The clip should not be visible and should fit inside the hat otherwise it could come off.
Your's desnt't look like it is snapped down all the way. See if there are any burrs on t he clip ends or shaft groove.
Very sure, only that one groove, I cleaned the shaft off and inserted it back in carefully, the half moon clip noticably and audibly snapped down into place, I tried seating it further into the groove with all my might, she's in place

I thought the same thing, but its clear to me now that there is no recessed flange on the inside of the new steel ring for the half moon clip to sit in unlike the old steel ring

I suppose this is how it's designed to be, I'll give it a shot and see how it goes, I thought if worse case scenario I could just use the old steel ring with the recessed flange along with the new half moon clip

I thought the same thing, but its clear to me now that there is no recessed flange on the inside of the new steel ring for the half moon clip to sit in unlike the old steel ring

I suppose this is how it's designed to be, I'll give it a shot and see how it goes, I thought if worse case scenario I could just use the old steel ring with the recessed flange along with the new half moon clip

Negative, it will slide in, work the coating off, don't leave it like this. At 7000 RPM the c clip could fly loose allowing that SS hat to move forward.

No, don't use the old stainless hat.

I think @GGuillot is on the correct path. I haven't bought one of the newer "Gold" clips, just the older stainless ones. You do need it to fit inside the hat because if it comes off your ski will sink.

The last one I bought was from OSD seadoo for a 1996 GTX and the clip fit inside without issue.

I haven't bought one of the newer "Gold" clips, just the older stainless ones. You do need it to fit inside the hat because if it comes off your ski will sink.

Nick at OSD and Bayareapowersports are aware there was a batch for awhile back from the vendor source with these c clips not fitting. Since then it's been addressed, but if you get one just work the golden coating off til it slides in and you'll be fine.

Update

I got the half moon clip inside the steel ring! But not very far, it's now flush with the top of the steel ring, it does appear that it is capable of receding inside, but it's ridiculously difficult
GGuillot was correct

However I don't have a way to grind it down, and it's really, really jammed in there, is this recessed far enough? I couldn't imagine this clip coming loose now

20200518_125617.jpg
20200518_125621.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back