Buying a Used Ski's Tips.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Wd40 leaves a thin coating on your ski just like the Seadoo stuff.

Used it on my Mx bikes for years with no problems.

But I have sprayed WD 40 onto an ignition coil on a car before and caused a fire.

So WD 40 ignites with a spark.
No idea if the Seadoo spray does.

Must read the info on the can.
conf45.gif

comp?

What figure is the compression under a test situation?
Listings for all models would be great, im guessing alot of the engines are the same? My egg beater is the 95 720 (717) XP.

just my 2 cents....if you are going to buy from ebay or any other out of state listing, go on craigslist.com and find a mobile pwc/jetski repair guy, pay them to go and look the ski over for you compression test/water test...remember an honest seller will have no problem with you completly checking the pwc out, most mobile guys will have no problem going to do an inspection for you, might cost you $50 or so but very worth it in the long run.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah well you can read this and learn as much as you can but you will always learn from your first purchase. i bought my GSX for $1800 and it had 350 hours on it and no work done to it. but the owner said "it has always run like a champ and never had any problems." when he told me that, i heard "it will be reliable forever." what i would make of his statement now is, "it is about to explode."

as for buying something off of ebay why couldn't the seller post a demonstation of the boat operating or of a compresion test on youtube??
also to check hull conditiontake drop light and putit inside the hul and then look underneath the boat to see if there is any light coming thru..i suggest a 150 watt bulb or vice versa.
i found 2 spots on mine that had been siliconed that way while working on it.

Wish I had seen this thread before purchasing my Speedster! I went and checked out the boat and took and ride in it before buying. Portside motor was a little rough starting but did noe the less and the boat was very fast and handled great. Looking over the rest of the boat I could see it was in rough condition but something that with some care and elbow grease could be a decent boat.

Got it home and showed the wife....oops! forgot to tell her I wanted to buy a boat, oh well she got over it rather quickly, and began going through cleaning out the previous owners "trash". Washed the boat to see how it would clean up and then it was time to fire it up and let the wife hear it run, Starboard motor cranked no problem and sounded good but the Portside was again acting up. Two tries and I stuck my head in the compartment to peak around, found wires going into the mag area on the top front of the motor and one was not only bare but broken making no connection. Checked Starboard side to see if it was the same but no, it had four insulated wires from the harness connection into the motor.

This is where I decide it's time to visit a dealer and have the boat checked out......eight motormounts, four exhaust manifold bolts, two exhaust manifolds, one stator thingy and my almost runs!

Only good news was that the cylinders were nearly perfectly matched with nearly 165lbs of compression.

Another $2000.00 on top of the cost of the boat and then I will be able to see what is wrong with her.....

sea doo xp

Hey guys. im looking into buying a sea doo XP and im new to the whole jetski thing. How many hours is considered low? Any advise would be great. Thanks.

Jet skiing is not a cheap hobby/ pastime. Repair costs can put you off for life. If you know motorcycle maintanance your half way there. Older ski's need more looking after, and you dont know of past repairs. Its a great hobby if you have the time and spare cash.

Your risking your life and others while out at sea or in the ocean. Luck is a big chance you take.:agree:

only thing i can add is take a volt meter and a good battery with you so you can start it and check the charging system ...hate to buy something and have to pull the motor to change the statorand maybe the mag cup...just my .02

the first thing i always check when buying a ski on cl(most of us have bought a junk seadoo on cl)is the spark plugs

well I hate to bring back an old thread.. But I am new to the forum and new to seadoo boats. My wife and I rented one when we were on vacation in Aruba 2 weeks ago. Now we want one!

So my question is I am looking at a used 1997 Seadoo Challenger and have downloaded the check list in this thread, but my problem is I live in the northeast and the lakes are frozen so I can't take it for a ride. So is their anything that I should make double or triple check since I can't take it for a ride?

The owner says that the motor runs strong but it feel like something is slipping when at mid throttle, but goes away when at wide open. He said he replaced the propulsion system 2 years ago. I would like to pick it up in hopes of fixing it before spring as long as its not gonna cost me a ton of money.

What do you guys think and what should I look for to find what the problem is? Thanks

Back