Buying a Used Ski's Tips.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

D 5UPE

Premium Member
Premium Member
This is just a little helping hand on what to look out for when buying a used jetski.
Please add to this thread incase I miss something important out.
(1) First of all check out similar ski's advertised for a price.
(2) Ask about its condition.
(3) How many hours has it got on the clock (if applicable)Some dont have.
(4) Check for a hull number.
(5) Has it been data tagged. (some have some dont)
(6) Ask if you can see or test the ski. (There might be a small charge for
this if testing on a lake or in the sea/ocean.)
(7) Ask to hear the engine running, with a garden hose attached.
(8) Look inside the engine compartment for leaks (exhaust cylinder head and
petrol tank)
(9) Look at and check the stearing mechanism ( if its tight or badly worn
It could be costly)
(10) Is it premix (oil mixed with gas/petrol)
(11) Has it been used mostly in saltwater. If yes this will reflect in the overall
asking price and in its condition. (But not a good thing or bad.)
(12) Pull on the engine to see if it has broken engine mounts.
(13) Compression test on both barrels, if you have the equipment to do this.
(14) Ex Rental ski's have probably had there life beaten out of them, and bodged up to keep them making money.
(15) Make sure Ski title and numbers match USA/ Check Data Tag numbers and paper work match the name on the documents UK.
(16) If bought from Ebay, check out the sellers feedback.
(17) Take a torch/flashlight and look into the pump for wear on the impeller.

Please add any important info to this list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good post I'm going to sticky it so everyone can read this!

Doing a compresion test on an Ebay sale or private ad would be difficult.
The seller would probably tell you to bugger off.
But its a good idea if you have the equipment.

Taking chances!

Buying things from ebay is always going to be a risk. That's why I like to read the reputation of the sellers. I don't usually buy from someone unless they've sold a lot of merchandise and have good feedback.

Used Ski's

Stay away from ski's that are ex-rental units. Most rental companies don't buy new ski's until the old ones are totally wore out.
Make sure ski has a clear title(no liens) and that the numbers on the title match the numbers on the ski.

Propulsion.

Take a torch and look into the pump, for to get a closer look at the condition of the impeller. If its looking chiped at the edges or the blades look out of shape to each other. It'll cost you.
Parts: Impeller, wear ring, Seadoo impeller oil, tools for the job/and or Labour costs.

Hot time in the water! lol

Take a torch and look into the pump, for to get a closer look at the condition of the impeller. If its looking chiped at the edges or the blades look out of shape to each other. It'll cost you.
Parts: Impeller, wear ring, Seadoo impeller oil, tools for the job/and or Labour costs.

Uh Dave, I would suggest a flashlight or a leadlight as not to burn up the ski!
The torch thingy might make it a flammer...lol :rofl:

Uh Dave, I would suggest a flashlight or a leadlight as not to burn up the ski!
The torch thingy might make it a flammer...lol :rofl:

Ok English/American terminollogy thing again.

Torch: UK, comes from the old stick with the rag on the end.
Flashlight: USA, got to be different because it can turn on and off.
Battery Torch: UK, does the same as the above American tool.
Lead light: USA, just to be awkward and not confuse with a Battery Torch.

:lols::conehead::biggrinjester:

That's what makes this forum so interesting...different verbage around the world...I love it!!...and we can have our fun too..lol :rofl: :cheers:

Stay away from ski's that are ex-rental units. Most rental companies don't buy new ski's until the old ones are totally wore out.
Make sure ski has a clear title(no liens) and that the numbers on the title match the numbers on the ski.

Dennis, this is great advice. I have heard some horror stories from people purchased old rentals.

David, Karl, you guys crack me up :)

and rents that charge!

There should be a law that requires the seller to tell you if it was ever a rental unit. Like that person who posted a thread about renting a ski and the rental company trying to charge for the repairs because a rock got picked up. They wanted him to pay for all the repairs. There's no telling what that ski went through before they rented it..........
DON"T BUY A RENTAL UNIT!:rant:

I love Rental Vehicles!

Oh poo, seadoosnipe...your just trying to kill all the fun, like you never rented a car on vacation! Power Breaking burnouts were never so much fun...in a Kia:leaving::Angel::driving:

Your correct!

Your very correct!.........Although I've never rented a car, I have rented a jet ski before (kawa stand-up) and had a blast. It was a rickity piece of junk because it had been put through the mill before I got it.
I'm only saying that before a prospective buyer decide on buying one that is for sale, he should be able to learn from the seller that it had spent most of it's life as a rental being ill maintained and abused for profit. That's all I'm saying. Don't disguise it as a one owner, like it was used for personal use. If it was commercial, then say so. Honesty........you don't see much of that these days.

I agree, when buying a used jet boat or ski, there should be something like there is for car fax, but I don't think it is available from any company as of yet. As certified car dealer in the state of Florida , I can run the Hull # as I can run the Vin#( Vehicle Identification Number) and search who the lean holder is, with the past history and what is owned by the owner. I can also produce info as to the history of the vehicle or vessel from when it was first tittled. If you go to Dept of Motor Vehicle web site in this state. I think as a privet owner,you can get info if you ask,but it isn't handed to you...you have to pursue it. I'm not sure how other states handle vessel back grounds or what the cost is.

State laws....

This is true. I wish all state laws were modeled after one another. It's hard when you get used to certain state laws in one state and when you move to another, it's a completly different ball-game.

If anyone is interested, I made up a little checksheet for this with room for comments and such. I have it as a .doc file so should work on most PC's, not sure about Mac. Scroll down a couple more posts and you'll see a link for downloading the checksheet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Add it on the fly.

Dusthawk, you could add it as and attachment in a post on the thread. Click on"Go Advanced", and arrow down to "Additional Options". Add it as a doc. file, under" "Manage Attachments" simple as that...
Karl

In that case, here you go. For a quick and easy something you can print off and take with you when you go look at a Jet Ski. If there are any ideas on revisions, feel free to do so or let me know and I'll run them through and add it here.

Jeff

Attachments

• Checklist Ski.doc
    35.5 KB · Views: 496
Nice one Jeff, Its a good idea to print that off. When looking at a new used purchase Ski. :)

Also check all of the gauges and make sure they all work (fuel, tach, speedo, etc.). If the ski has trim, make sure that is working aswell. Check the hull and inside of the hull for any possible fiberglass work that may have been done, this could be from wrecks. Ask if the jet has been properly winterized and what kind of oil was used in it. Check the gaskets and ask if WD40 was used to lubricate things (which is a no no). Check the hull for major scratches, chips, and dings that could be caused from careless beaching. When test riding or test running the ski, give it good hard throttle after it has had time to warm up and make sure that the rpms increase smoothly without stuttering. Check all rubber hoses in the engine compartment and make sure there are no holes or cuts in them. That about sums it up.

i was wonder'en. ijust bought a 97 xp from a guy that lives out in the sticks on a lake. had the ski since new. paid cash badda bing badda boom deal done hooked it up and drove away. its got the original manuall and one well used (very welll used lanyard key. but dont have any paper work for it. the only thing i have paper work on NOW is the trailer its on.so i guess the question is -- do i have to register it now??? how do i prove it is now mine in case of theft or accident?? thanx :stupid:

ah no. lol maybe one day when i dig a hole below my house and strike oil then just then maybe i'll find my own little lake lol :cheers:

Back