Broken Belt

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

gioakjoe

I have a 2003 utopia with a merc 240 efi and I broke the belt, funny thing was my mercmonitor flaged me a low oil presure falt and thats what led me to check the motor to see that the belt broke. what all motor wise is used by the altanator or does it have a magneto to power the spark plugs and other electrical stuff.

I ask this caz i was able to idle my boat back home and wounderd if the oil was a seperate problem then then belt braking.

I have a 2003 utopia with a merc 240 efi and I broke the belt, funny thing was my mercmonitor flaged me a low oil presure falt and thats what led me to check the motor to see that the belt broke. what all motor wise is used by the altanator or does it have a magneto to power the spark plugs and other electrical stuff.

I ask this caz i was able to idle my boat back home and wounderd if the oil was a seperate problem then then belt braking.

Your oil pump is an electric oil pump, when you end up with a low voltage situation the Engine Guardian System will activate and limit your engine speed. If you had lost oil you would have gotten a horn alarm. My belt broke and I went through what you did, I just did not have a mercmonitor at the time, now I do. I replaced the belt and the alternator and have not had engine problems, that was a year ago.

Make sure you find out why the belt broke, my situation was the alternator was dropping its ball bearings which caused the alternator itself to lock up.

ok thats what i thought, i will try to see if the alternator is ok but its my first summer with this boat and belt is probably old and needed to be replaced.

but yea i just installed my mercmonitor still trying to get my Garmin 17x gps to show on it.

so it was a pain to tract down a new belt 828507Q10 orderd it from boats.net big mistake well kinda it was like $20 cheeper but the boat places i asked said id have it by friday well boats.net didint even ship it till friday when I orderd it monday... so I missed the weekend and now it says wont be in till the 5th!! now I miss the 4th of july :( any belts you think I can find for a temp fix for a day i can find from an auto parts store?

I was playing with the altanator and looks like it might be locking up. since I need a new one any one know if u can get a bigger then 30amp or just the part number for the orig altanator?

Just take the broken belt to the autoparts store. They can measure it, and give you a new one.

Boats.net is a good place for the hard parts... but for basics... try to buy local. Personally, I thought they did pretty good when I ordered a big gasket, and new rod bolts. They didn't have them in stock... but it only took a few days for them to get them... and get it all shipped to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
so it was a pain to tract down a new belt 828507Q10 orderd it from boats.net big mistake well kinda it was like $20 cheeper but the boat places i asked said id have it by friday well boats.net didint even ship it till friday when I orderd it monday... so I missed the weekend and now it says wont be in till the 5th!! now I miss the 4th of july :( any belts you think I can find for a temp fix for a day i can find from an auto parts store?

I was playing with the altanator and looks like it might be locking up. since I need a new one any one know if u can get a bigger then 30amp or just the part number for the orig altanator?

If you do need a new alternator I got one from Discount Starter And Alternator in Georgia for $104. Mercury 857006T 875285T1 881248T. Put these numbers in ebay and the store will come up. The $104 includes shipping. Other prices will scare you.

Eddie

Alternator

I have the 210 and I wish I had the ability to upgrade to a larger alternator.

Last edited by a moderator:
took my old belt to a couple of auto part stores around town ended up with one that looks pretty darn close the the orig one. lol it was only $14... the one i orderd from boats.net was like 48 so we will see how this holds up if it works out ill post the part number for you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back