bought 2002 speedster

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

stepdrill

Hi there new guy here. Got some questions that have probably been asked a million times but here it goes. Just bought a 2002 Seadoo speedster with the 240 mercury engine. This is the cleanest used boat I've ever seen. Just looking to make sure this is the right oil, Mercury Quicksilver Synthetic Blend 2-Cycle Outboard Oil. I had an older 1997 seadoo speedster and just bought the oil from the dealer, so buying oil at walmart I wasn't sure. Another thing that freaks me out that I've been reading about is you can't run these out of the water for just a few seconds? Or something about hooking up the hose before starting it.
Used to be on my old one I'd start it for a sec before launching it to make sure it was gonna start, then run it at the end to get out all the water. Just curious what you guys thought, thanks.

Wow... super clean. Looks almost new from the pics.

Anyway... any normal "Seadoo" rules can be thrown out with a Mercury boat. They can burn any good TC-w3 oil. You don't need special (expensive) oils. The one you posted is fine. I personally run Pennzoil XLF. It can be found at most Walmarts.

Since the boat is cooled via the water in the lake... you don't want to run it long on the trailer, or you will overheat. AND... unless your garden hose has VERY good pressure, and volume... it may not put enough water into the engine to keep it cool. It's mostly just for back-flushing. BUT... to fire it up to make sure things are OK... or to blow the water out of the mufflers after putting it back on the trailer, is fine.

Congrats on the new toy.

Oh... I like your yard tug. (LOL)

161.jpg

Ok thanks. Didn't want to screw things up. The guy I bought it from said he maybe ran 6 or 7 tanks of gas through it. Paid 6000 for it, I thought it was a good deal. Like your yard puller to! Trying to think of some other questions. Any other fluids I have to check? Premium fuel?

The Merc engines were designed to run on 87. Since we have alcohol in our fuels these days... I recommend running "Mid Grade". Going to Premium fuel is just wasting $$$, and honestly... it will put extra heat on the piston crowns since it isn't really tuned to burn it.

Since the boat is new to you... I would probably check the pump oil. There are 2 places in the pump with oil. One is the stator, and the other is the gear box. The stator you can see if you look into the nozzle. The gear box is under the boat. There are 2 screws to pull, to drain it. At the top of this forum, there is a sticky about servicing the pump. I would just drain out the gear oil, and get a close look at it... and re-fill.

Now... unlike the engine oil... the Sportjet gear case needs a good oil, and I recommend ONLY using Quicksilver High Performance gear oil. You can find it at any boat shop, or even places like Cabala's or Gander Mtn.

The joys of owning a boat. Took it out this morning ten minutes into ride start smelling nasty burnt plastic. 2 bad voltage regulators, great. I always get myself into these predicaments.

Should have checked ebay for a good used one. That's not a normal issue... something must have shorted out.

Thats why I'm going to sell it. Man my rotax engines on my old boat didn't have any issues ever. :facepalm:
Wife wants to kill me.

So I got back my boat after a $1200 fix and it seems to be running great, thank god. Pretty fast boat, I think it's faster than my 97 speedster definitely a lot smoother ride. Praying no more 1200 dollar bills. :thumbsup:

One more questions guys. When I have to open the engine hood I have to pull the release cable up by the steering wheel, but when I do the hood doesn't pop up, I have to have someone open while I pull the lever. Think the rear shocks are bad? If I was by myself and had to work on engine I'd be stuck :willy_nilly: Why wouldn't they just put a release on hood like the old one?

Well took the speedster out for a second time and ran great again. So I guess I can relax. This boat is pretty fast, on the speedo I had it up to 62mph. Now I can try to fix the fuel gauge. It has power just doesn't move the needle. I'm gonna try doing what this guy does on a youtube video glue the magnet back on.

I had a sticky fuel gauge it was working fine last summer. I took it out and sprayed some alcohol in to it (electrical contact cleaner) from behind I then gave it a few taps with the side of a screwdriver whilst plugged in and turned on still out the dash and eventually the needle started to move. Gave it a few on and offs and eventually the needle was moving full and smooth. It's a delicate sprung needle and any corrosion will effect it's movement.

Anybody have any idea where I can get a new bow stop? I can't find one anywhere. It's 3 3/4 wide with a 1/2 dia hole.

Hate to keep bugging you but can I Put Pennzoil Marine XLF in when I have some Mercury Quicksilver Synthetic still in there? Guess what I'm asking is is it ok to mix when switching over?

I personally like to drain out the old first. But the TC-w3 oils seem to mix ok.

If you don't want to go though a real clean out... just take a gallon of oil with you... and let the main tank really empty out, and then add it.

I've had my boat out now 5 or 6 times and she's running great. Funny the more I use it the more I've been hearing a lot of clunking and weird noises. So after work today I was in my boat taking out lifejackets, just kinda looking at things and noticed a strap hanging by the seat in the bow of the boat, come to find out the backrest comes off and there's a cubby hole there with 2 anchors and a bunch of other crap. I didn't even know it was there. Nice!!

Stepdrill - Just randomly browsing the forums today and came across this and realized you are the one that commented on my YouTube video back awhile ago where I am ripping around doing spins and such. Glad you ended up keeping it and it is treating you well! (at least hopefully it still is).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cayMSR4wpn8

I think I have the same boat as you, although mine is an 03. I have the same color and graphics and everything else seems identical. I believe my boat to be a 2003 Sea Doo Speedster 160 with the 240 EFI. Is that what you have? I'm having difficulty finding parts for this boat, is this model an oddball because I mostly see plenty of parts for the challenger and sportsters. I'm trying to find a few items. Any tips for owning this model? I've had it out only one season since I purchased it. Hoping everything goes good this year. Nice boat though, love being out on it, pretty fast too.

The 02 to 04 seem to have the same graphics but my 04 seats have some orange fabric on mine, and I think they are a slightly more resilient fabric than the earlier years. The boat has been great to me, bought it 3 years ago from the original owner and he said he literally didn't have to do a single thing to it. Since then I have only had to put a belt on it. Going to be putting the port side temp sensor on soon to see if she runs any better (not that it runs bad right now). Just curious, does your 03 have an alternator on the port side of the motor? Just wondering around what year they started putting them on as mine has a full alternator. I also put the Solas impeller on this year and it doesn't seem to make too much a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back