Bilge pump blowing fuses

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

RENEDUCE

Had the boat out this past weekend and i seen the bilge pump wasn't working checked the fuse and it was bad so i replaced it worked fine after that. Then the next morning i check the fuse again and it was bad again any idea why or what is causing the pump to blow the fuse?

As pwgsx stated most likely a bad pump. Try removing it and cleaning it. Possible debris stuck in pump causing it to burn the fuse.

I have the same issue, bilge pump blowing fuse, 2005 sportster, any input as to how to remove it? thanks!

The blue base unclips from the white pump.

How does it unclip? It's under that huge exhaust tube and I can't figure out how to get it to "unclip". The local SeaDoo shop wants to charge $150 labor (1.5 hours) to replace it. Seems like it should take about 10 minutes if you know how to unclip it and clip the new one back in???

Thanks,
Brian

OK, I finally figured out how to unclip it. Near the hose connection, there is a relatively long tab you need to pull as you turn the wing-nut-like ears counter-clockwise. At least this is how you remove my pump. Unfortunately, it's a Johnson cartridge and appearantly SeaDoo used a 550 GPH model that you can't purchase anwhere else but SeaDoo. SeaDoo wants $174.49 for the pump but you can get a 500 GPH cartridge for $20. I'm just not sure if it's compatible or not.

Any 3 wire pump would work as long as its 12v. I think Academy had a 800 or 1200 GPM for $54 that was automatic. I thought about getting it for my boat.

Johnson pumps emailed me back after i asked about compatibility and they said it will work up to the 750 GPH cartridge. They are on Amazon (prime) for ~$30. Nice savings and an upgrade.

Good job!

There are so many different types of bilge pumps out there it's only possible to say they typically clip into their base housing in some way and if possible it's generally easiest to just unclip and replace the cartridge itself.

I prefer the 3-wire pumps with internal mechanical float switch myself, sometimes debris and even fishing line can get inside the impeller causing the fuse to blow.

Always use the correct size rated fuse otherwise a destructive bilge fire can be the result.

I agree about the fuse rating. Johnson said the 750 GPH unit will work fine with the 5A fuse in the Speedster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back