Best prop choice for a 03' XP?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

TxToby

I want something that has a strong hole-shot but doesn't cut more than 1-2mph off the top... **I WANT IT ALL & THE CAKE!

The word on the street a Solas Concord 15/20 is worth the $200 dollar upgrade.. and will accomplish both??

Is there a better option?

I think that this is maybe the best way to go as it only cuts off a little on the top, but adds more on the bottom. What is you weight, and are you in salt or fresh water?

Karl

Solas....

I looked at the Solas impellers and they sure are "pretty".....But I wonder if it's worth it.
I know I've posted this same idea a couple times, but just like you stated yourself, you can't have your cake and eat it too.
If you change your impellor to less pitch, you'll jump out of the hole. And if you really reduce it, you may actually lead out of the water. But the more you decrease the pitch, the less your gonna make at top end. On the other hand, if you increase the pitch, just slightly, you may get a couple extra mph. In the engineering aspect anyway. But I can't see it making a big enough difference that you'd actually notice.
I remember one time when I was a teenager, I had a 1968 camaro (I still have a pix, I should post it) with a 350 cu.in. motor in it. This older guy down the street had a Mustang with a 351 Cleveland in it. But it was pumped up a little. Headers, carbs, a little cam....you know, just the stuff to make it sound really good. Well, he wanted to race on the weekend. I thought the only reason he wanted to race was because he knew my 350 was stock. I accepted the race because I had an idea brewing in my little pea brain. At home, my next door neighbor had an old Suburban linemans truck that didn't run anymore. It was sitting out in the back 40 with weeds growing around it. But I remember when it ran, it had granny gears in it. I asked him if I could have some parts off it, he said take what I wanted. I jacked it up and pulled the 4:11 rear chunk out of it and on Friday afternoon, I pulled my 3:73 stock gear chunk out and put that 4:11 chunk in. Then I went to shipyard road around dark to hang out with everyone else. Mike showed up a while later and it wasn't long till he wanted to race. Our track was between an 1/8 and 1/4, usually the school cutie on the end, to drop the flag. Long story short, I beat him that night with a stock engine.
The reason I brought this up was because sometime, to make something faster, you don't necessarily have to break the bank to do it. That was a true story and I was 18 years old. That pretty much started my toying around with making high performance engines. The engine is only as good as the drive train you hook it up to.
Man, did I get off on a tangent or what...........:ack:

I looked at the Solas impellers and they sure are "pretty".....But I wonder if it's worth it.
I know I've posted this same idea a couple times, but just like you stated yourself, you can't have your cake and eat it too.
If you change your impeller to less pitch, you'll jump out of the hole. And if you really reduce it, you may actually lead out of the water. But the more you decrease the pitch, the less your gonna make at top end. On the other hand, if you increase the pitch, just slightly, you may get a couple extra mph. In the engineering aspect anyway. But I can't see it making a big enough difference that you'd actually notice.
I remember one time when I was a teenager, I had a 1968 camaro (I still have a pix, I should post it) with a 350 cu.in. motor in it. This older guy down the street had a Mustang with a 351 Cleveland in it. But it was pumped up a little. Headers, carbs, a little cam....you know, just the stuff to make it sound really good. Well, he wanted to race on the weekend. I thought the only reason he wanted to race was because he knew my 350 was stock. I accepted the race because I had an idea brewing in my little pea brain. At home, my next door neighbor had an old Suburban linemans truck that didn't run anymore. It was sitting out in the back 40 with weeds growing around it. But I remember when it ran, it had granny gears in it. I asked him if I could have some parts off it, he said take what I wanted. I jacked it up and pulled the 4:11 rear chunk out of it and on Friday afternoon, I pulled my 3:73 stock gear chunk out and put that 4:11 chunk in. Then I went to shipyard road around dark to hang out with everyone else. Mike showed up a while later and it wasn't long till he wanted to race. Our track was between an 1/8 and 1/4, usually the school cutie on the end, to drop the flag. Long story short, I beat him that night with a stock engine.
The reason I brought this up was because sometime, to make something faster, you don't necessarily have to break the bank to do it. That was a true story and I was 18 years old. That pretty much started my toying around with making high performance engines. The engine is only as good as the drive train you hook it up to.
Man, did I get off on a tangent or what...........:ack:

Louis...what happened to the impeller in your story? ...lol lol Solas claim they have variable pitch impellers that help both ends while not perfecting either one. I would try to stick with one or the other myself, and in my days of competition I would change pitch by 1.5 degrees up or down depending on the body of water I was racing in ...either salt or fresh. I kept my weight the same all race season so it would be a quick change over in a 2 day event in different locations, like in N.J as was the case sometimes...in the Ocean on Saturday and on a lake on Sunday... I kicked butt both days because other riders never changed from salt to freshwater. I didn't care about price as Solas and skattrak were my sponsors, and paid for my impellers.

Karl

Experience....

Here, I'll have to take your word for it Karl. I know you were a racer of the stand-ups....so, I'll take your word for it.
The point I was trying to make, was he wants to go fast, as he said it, wants it both ways. In the world where I came from (building the V-8's), it was always said, you can't have it both.
If you wanted the hole shot, you gave up endurance or top end. If you wanted speed, you gave up the hole shot.
But now, if he wants to increase pitch for more top end, then he could add the N20 for the hole shot. Which, the tech rep never replied to my email...Like my wife, I guess I didn't deserve a reply.........:rofl:

Fat man can jump

I am 6'1'' 230 lbs and ride 98.9% in fresh water... in the warm (hot) Texas weather (starting in march).

The reason I asked is that I just bought the ski a few weeks ago and want to add a few bolt on's for performance. The word on the street is that there aren't many things that you can do with DI's w/out dumping a TON of money & *$#(*$# loads of mods (all or nothing). I bought hydro turf and a Jettrim seat and now i'm looking at an impeller & poss ride plate/intake grate "IF" necessary...

From what I've heard.. this solas prop will only shave a sec or two off of the top... i'm not racing so I'm willing to give that up (but no more!:) if it means more power to play on the down swing.

Pretty....

Toby, I looked at it and it sure is a nice impeller.....which by the way is in no way related to a propeller. But I still wonder if there will be truly a difference you'd be able to feel. Your a pretty big fella on a "go fast" toy. The only way you'll really find out is to try it.
If you do give it a try and you find there is a significant difference, let us all know. Hell, we might all be running the Solas impeller!...........:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back