Considering a GTI 130

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dantheman68

Hello forum.

I'm in the market for a new PWC. I have background with boating and my family has property on a small lake (200 acres) about an hour out of town. I've posted on some other forums but it found this forum and I think you guys will give the best information given what I am thinking.

Here's my situation:
- I don't need a speed demon, but I want something that will pull me out of the water like a ski should my 1980's boats that ran 35-40mph... So yeah
- I don't want to be a mechanic on my vacations...
- I have a small family (wife and 1 year old by the time boating season starts) and we have other members (Mom, Dad, Sister, BIL) that use the property..
- I have driven a PWC twice in my life, and for a total of maybe 2 hours.
Occasionally tubing behind is a possibility

I initially started my search for a GTX185/215 or a Kawi STX-15f last year - Bro-in-Law rode his friends Seadoos in his early 20's and he convinced me that a craft that couldn't hit 60 was for old people or kids. I contest that 60 is well above the speed limit of the lake, and 60mph would have you across the lake in just enough time to turn around and go back.

We rode a friend's Seadoo Spark 2up HO on our lake last summer for an hour or so (with some 2up riding too) and had a good time (hitting 50mph easy). I didnt ride it too hard since it was not mine but I was convinced that the Spark 90HO was for us. Once I looked at the options I wanted (IBR, VTS and most likely 3up), it seemed to me that a GTI 130 might be close money wise and better family wise than the Spark (stable, larger, etc). My fear is that my BIL will be right (he actually has been a few times) and that I will become quickly bored of something that doesn't have more power, and isn't as playful as the Spark... The GTI seems like more of a family ski than the Spark, but do you find it as an entertaining craft to ride solo as well or should I be looking for something with more power or less weight?

Edit: I am looking for used but more recent GTIs probably 2015, which is another thing that worries me about the Spark - the driveshaft issues with the 14-15-16.5's kinda scares me away from the used market on those

I settled for a GTI 90 with lots of options last year and I am very pleased with it (and pleased with the lower price also). It goes to about 42 mph in good conditions (and not 60). The price was also very interesting and it has simple mechanics. However, if you want to tow several kids on a tube, you may want to consider a ski with a pole in the back and maybe the bigger engine (hence the GTI 130 or more). The poles are available for the GTI in the configuration options.

I have a 2018 yamaha FXHO and love that ski hits 64mph and handles very well. 2 weeks ago I found a 2017 GTI 130se with 17 hours for $6350 with trailer. I bought it for my wife. Of course I had to drive it first so if anything happened It would not happen to her. I live in south west Florida so I took it to the gulf. I did not expect a whole lot. I put it in sport mode and took it for a spin. It surprised me how quick it was. Topped out 54-55mph. It was very enjoyable. I then took it to some waves 3-4 feet. It jumped very playfully and very predictable. I then took it to a bay and tried some tight turns and this ski is easy to turn and if you want it will spin out very nicely. Very fun machine. The yamaha will cut the corners very hard and you have to hold on, not much spinning out with it. Best of all after 4 hours in the gulf i still had 3 bars of fuel left. My wife was on the yamaha, I took them both to the gas station and filled them up. The yamaha took 14.3 gallons and the GTI took 9.1. I would recommend the GTI 130 to anyone who wants a good all around machine thats good for cruising or playing around with. Its no supercharged machine but from what im reading they are one of the most reliable machines out there.

GTI 130 is a great machine. I ending up going with the GTI SE 155 when i was looking mostly because the dealer was having a deal and there was only a 600 difference. Both are great, the 155 just has more mid range punch and a couple more mph on top end

On a 200 acre lake there won't be any day long cruises. ;) I'd be far more inclined toward a smaller, lighter, more agile machine than a rough water cruiser.

How big is a 200 acres lake? For example my lake is 15 miles long by 2 miles large (at its largest point). Even myself at WOT I can travel the lake from bottom to top in lets say, 50 minutes. But I I go around, now that would take me a good two hours. But on a bigger lake, you cannot really go at WOT all the time because of the chop.

200 acres is pretty small, about a half mile by 3/4 mile. My experience with small lakes is that they get plenty of traffic and big waves from that. GTI 130 is a great all around machine, plenty quick, rides great, still pretty nimble. Everybody I know who has bought one has been very happy. I can't say the same about sparks. If you are a young person and want to throw the machine around, the spark may be a good option but riding one all day long in heavy chop is not my idea of a good time.

This is where VTS helps a bit. I noticed that on a VTS equipped model, if I trim the impeller down, it helps a bit breaking the waves.

We have some huge wake boats here and pontoons with 2x 300 HP engines and even a dozen Baja boats and in summertime, it gets pretty choppy on the weekends (there are 1,000 houses at least around the lake, not counting camping grounds so when everybody is on the lake, I usually avoid venturing myself as it is not agreeable). Also, wind plays a major role and chop can get to three feet high.

I don't know where the OP wants to ride but a 300 HP Sea-Doo will only procure fun when no one else is on the lake so a simple GTI 130 gets the job done (a GTI 90 in my case because I am always riding alone). Sparks in a lot of chop are harder to maneuver and they have serious limitations on maximum weight/passengers.

Benji.

Thanks for all the input everyone. Sounds like a GTI will fit my use perfectly. We just got an accepted offer on a house near some other lakes, so if i ever take it off the lake my family has property on, it should handle those larger lakes much better than the Spark would too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back