Being prepared for your trip

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

kicker

This thread is inspired by Loudoo's "No Problem" thread. No problems and having a great time with family and friends is what owning a seadoo is all about.
I wanted to start a thread that will help everyone to be prepared for there trips to the lake more enjoyable even in the event that something were to go wrong. Many times its a minor thing that is not working or needs fixing, but the tools or supplies are not with you to fix/repair even a minor problem and it ends up ruining your day/week. This is just a shame when that happens. When you get the time to go out there you want to maximize your enjoyment.

So the items that we need to take along will have to include all your mandatory safety equipment, anchor, whistle, heaving line, fire extinguisher etc.

The rest of the items is up for discussion, I would like to compile 2 lists. Keep in mind this is for a weekend away or longer, not just a day at the beach. The first will be the top 15 items that will be most useful inside the seadoo compartment, in the event that there is a breakdown that can be repaired without going back to the dock or beach. At this point we will assume the compartment is small bow mount compartment and not from the bigger 3 seater models. Also remember when making the list you need to save room in your compartment for the safety gear.
The second list would be the items you would take with you in a small tool box for back at the dock/cottage that would not fit in the seadoo.
Add or delete items as you see fit based on your past experiences or what you think would be best.
IMG-20121019-00050.jpgIMG-20121019-00049.jpg
Top items for the front of the ski would be (not including safety gear cause it varies from area to area)

1)extra spark plugs
2)spark plug ratchet and socket
3)multi bit screw driver
4)various fuses
5) flash light
6)electrical tape
7)water line pincher (for towing)
8)pliers
8)knife
off.9)dry case for cell phone

Top 15 items for back on dock/beach in small tool box 8" x 18". with your tool box bring an extra jug of oil.
1) Ratchet set
2)Wire cutters
3)Allen keys
4)engine fog
5)engine lubricant
6)Manual
7)Hose clamps
8)spare spark plugs
9)feeler guage
10)magnetic telescopic top (I'm always dropping stuff in the hull)

Last edited by a moderator:
zip ties need to be added

and maybe add spark plug caddies to spark plugs
05PUPlugCaddy_450.gif

small funnel as well.

ps.. great idea.

Yepp...... good thread.

To the kit in the ski....

1) I also like to have a few Nitrile or Latex gloves. Noting worse than being greasy and having to ride a ski back.
2) Small first aid kit. (a few bandages) and I have migraines, so make sure to have any needed medications in that kit.
3) I keep a collapsible paddle in all my toys. They are cheap (less than $20) and they are SO much better than trying to swim and push.
4) A short rope. If you need a tow... don't expect they other guy to have one. 20' is plenty for an emergency.
5) MONEY !!!!!!! I keep $10~$20 in a baggy in both of my skis. It's a token amount if you need help.

With the Money... I've never actually had anyone take the money... but it's nice to be able to offer it.

I have the rope and paddles as part of my safety list, In Ontario we are required to have a "manual propulsion" device on board and a minimum of 60 ft of "buoyancy heaving line" along with other various things. Its $140 ish fine for each item you are missing.

I will add the small first aid kit and the nitrile gloves to the front compartment. Maybe the spare $20 will fit in the first aid kit.

I love the plug caddy Spim, I need some.
How bout a little grease gun in the tool box at the cabin. Us salt riders need to give the through-hull shaft bearings a pump after the day.

Top items for the front of the ski would be (not including safety gear cause it varies from area to area)
I will add the safety gear to the bottom so we can have a better idea of the space available, so far everything here fits without to much trouble.

1)extra pre gapped spark plugs (preferable in caddie as Spileary's pic, keeps proper gap and dry)
3)multi bit screw driver
4)various fuses
5) flash light
6)electrical tape
8)pliers
8)knife
9)dry case for cell phone
10) zip ties
11)portable first aid kit (band aids,tylenol/advil, spare $20 for incidentals etc.)
12)Nitrile gloves

Top 15 items for back on dock/beach in small tool box 8" x 18". with your tool box bring an extra jug of oil.
1) Ratchet set
2)Wire cutters
3)Allen keys
4)engine fog
5)engine lubricant
6)Manual
7)Hose clamps
8)spare spark plugs
9)feeler gauge
11)4 min JB weld-exhaust repair
12)Test light/meter

Safety equipment
fire extinguisher
anchor
collapsible paddle
fox 40 whistle
anchor/towing line
flashlight flares

I love the plug caddy Spim, I need some.
How bout a little grease gun in the tool box at the cabin. Us salt riders need to give the through-hull shaft bearings a pump after the day.

That's a "house" tool. Also... SeaDoo stopped using a greaseable though-hull in 1995. So... the majority of the seadoo's out there only need a shot of grease in the PTO once a year.

That's a "house" tool. Also... SeaDoo stopped using a greaseable though-hull in 1995. So... the majority of the seadoo's out there only need a shot of grease in the PTO once a year.

yip, i maybe squirt mine twice or 3 times a year at the most depending on how much i've been riding. my grease gun is using the same tube from 4 years ago, and I have plenty of grease left.

ok we will take the grease gun off the list and leave it up to the individuals with 95 or older skis.

All race skis are retro-fitted with the older style because they will not put up with the cavitation possibility caused by the carbon seal. I don't like the way the carbon seal getting hot limits my flush time.
With that said I'll admit I'm not quite ready to take on either of your "carbon ringed" 96XP's (Spim or Honda). But I have ripped a new , large hole in the hull before by starting a 95XP that the PO had put away salty lacking a greased fitting.

All race skis are retro-fitted with the older style because they will not put up with the cavitation possibility caused by the carbon seal. I don't like the way the carbon seal getting hot limits my flush time.
With that said I'll admit I'm not quite ready to take on either of your "carbon ringed" 96XP's (Spim or Honda). But I have ripped a new , large hole in the hull before by starting a 95XP that the PO had put away salty lacking a greased fitting.

Fwiw, the manual for the 95 models says to limit time run on the hose because the seal carrier wouldn't have any cooling out of the water.

Hmm...that makes sense. You get a little longer with the old style but not forever.

The knife and zip ties were covered along with screwdriver-good stuff! How about some 4 minute JB weld to patch a welch plug blow out? We have talked before abut a wood dowel stored in the engine compartment to ram out debris that gets stuck in the pump sometimes.

Good idea Matt!! I will add the JB weld to the "on the dock" tool case. How long and thick would the wood dowel need to be? Im wonder if it is something that can get tied or strapped to the bottom of the seat. I take the front storage out of the ski and slide my paddle inside the front hull with a strap to hold it in place, maybe I can strap that dowel to the paddle.

I'm just happy get something back on the list after my grease gun got booted.:blush:
The rod should be about two feet and 1/2" in diameter but I'm just dreaming that up.

also in florida you have to have a whistle --- and i carry a little air horn -- the small size fits in the extingisher compartment

Of coarse Griz, no bottles though. Me and a ride buddy packed all the survival stuff in his ski and made mine just ice and bottled beer(this is years ago). We then set out on a five mile cross of the bay toward the party spot where all the boats and bikinis were. It was choppy that day and we taxed ourselves pretty hard pounding our way across. When we finally got there I flipped my lid up only to reveal wet tiny pieces of broken green glass!

I would like to add to the list. We have one member here in Michigan riding on Lake Huron who seems to either get lost, run out of gas, breaking down,etc.
I won't mention his name but it begins with B and ends in 1.

I would carry a set of small flares, if you are running near nightfall time.

I will add the flashlight/flares to the safety equipment list, a flashlight is handy even during the day to see those hard to reach places when troubl shooting. In Ontario I believe a water tight flashlight is compulsory.
The fox forty whistle is on the list under safety equipment.

Collectively we have made a list of items to take with you on your trips out to the lake/ocean to help keep the trip more enjoyable. These items will help keep you from being grounded for a minor problem that could be fixed with a few simple tools.
Here is the final list of "must haves" for the front of your ski. These items should be able to get you out of a minor problems that you might incur while being away from you dock or starting point. I have packed all the items in the list into my ski (96 GSX) which has a relatively small front compartment with extra space for anything else you might want to add.

1)extra pre gapped spark plugs (preferable in caddie as Spileary's pic, keeps proper gap and dry)
3)multi bit screw driver
4)various fuses
5) flash light
6)electrical tape
8)pliers
8)knife
9)dry case for cell phone
10) zip ties
11)portable first aid kit (band aids,tylenol/advil, spare $20 for incidentals etc.)
12)Nitrile gloves

In the case where you will require some extra tools/supplies to do further work/repair while away for a few days or vacation here is a list of basics that you can bring in a small tool case to get you through most things. I know that many times, especially going on vacation there is not room enough to bring a big tool box, so it is important to select your tools carefully.
1) Ratchet set
2)Wire cutters
3)Allen keys
4)engine fog
5)engine lubricant
6)Manual
7)Hose clamps
8)spare spark plugs
9)feeler gauge
11)4 min JB weld-exhaust repair
12)Test light/meter
13)WD-40 or something similar
14)Wrench set
15)if your one of those guys like Matt that needs to grease a fitting after every use dont forget to pack a portable (house tool) grease gun in your box.

Safety equipment
fire extinguisher
anchor
collapsible paddle
fox 40 whistle
anchor/towing line
flashlight flares

Thanks to all who participated in creating the list, if there is anything that is missed reply and I will adjust the list. My "back at the dock" tool box it almost full, but there is room in the ski for a few more items.

Attachments

• IMG-20121019-00050.jpg
    IMG-20121019-00050.jpg
    532.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG-20121021-00064.jpg
    IMG-20121021-00064.jpg
    740.7 KB · Views: 52
i take both of my ski's keys , if u lose 1, and other at truck, could be trouble -- wife reminded me of something else -- i just bought one of these , the bailer only... at sears though, http://www.leisurepro.com/1/2/6254-fox-40-boat-essentials-kit.html --- i keep camera, cellphone, wallet, truck keys, all in it, it floats, and its a bailer cup, if u take on water, im, actually gonna get another one, is real watertight

I'm loving your cell phone carrier and tool box. How about jumper cables? Not from a boosted source of coarse but has come in handy many times. Sorry for the late hit. Do you know what brand that phone case is?

The phone case is called X-treme protection by S3, I bought it at home hardware in the canoe section. This was floating many times in my front bin. My seals were bad and the bin fill up with water all the time. I will add the cables to the list but I dont think there will be room for a full heavy gauge set in the front compartment.

Extra keys, spare tire, extra oil also need to be considered. When talking trailers, bottle jack, lug nut wrench (im lucky the one from my spark plug works) extra bulbs.

Attachments

• IMG-20121023-00068.jpg
    IMG-20121023-00068.jpg
    958.8 KB · Views: 18
i take both of my ski's keys , if u lose 1, and other at truck, could be trouble -- wife reminded me of something else -- i just bought one of these , the bailer only... at sears though, http://www.leisurepro.com/1/2/6254-fox-40-boat-essentials-kit.html --- i keep camera, cellphone, wallet, truck keys, all in it, it floats, and its a bailer cup, if u take on water, im, actually gonna get another one, is real watertight

Griz, in what dep't of Sears are these things? Sounds like a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back