Battery not charging

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
2001 Seadoo GTX RFI. Ok guys I’m hoping someone can please help me here. I had a new SBT motor installed as well as a new starter. The mechanic put in a new rectifier which was blowing the 20 amp fuse in the rear electrical box. I disconnected his rectifier and installed the old one and now the 20amp fuse is holding. The problem I’m having is voltage is not exceeding 12.6v while running or when engine is rev’d. He advised that he checked the voltage coming from the stator with rectifier disconnected and was getting 14.6 volts. Is it possible the old rectifier is not doing its job? Or possibly a ground issue? Battery ground is running to metal frame that motor sits on and I’m getting proper voltage to that point. Can someone please steer me in the right direction. I’m an 18 year electrician but don’t know much about motors. Thank you guys!

There is no way he got 14.6V with the regulator disconnected as the stator puts out AC voltage not DC.

Is the 12.6V running coming from the battery or the regulator?

You need to test the output just from the regulator with the black and red disconnected. At the battery you are probably just getting the battery voltage.

So I unplug the black and red connector from regulator and check voltage at black and red from regulator? And I’m looking for around 13 volts at ideal and 14.6 with engine at 5500 rpm?

Is there something different about the regulator on a 2001gtx rfi? When I check my 96 gtx at the battery with everything connected, I see the higher voltage (13-14V) when revved up. Same thing in my car and boat.

The stators put out AC voltage the rectifier converts it to DC voltage that the electronics need to function. IF you don't see over about 13.5V when running the battery then it isn't working and you are just running off battery power.

You need to take the 3 yelloy wires coming out of the stator,,,number them 1,2,3,,,,i put zip ties on them,,,connect your ac voltage to them,,1 pair at a time,,,,rev the motor,,,you should get 25 plus volts on each pair i believe,,,if they are not equal,,then one of the windings is faulty,,,and the rectifier will not work,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back