Batteries vs. Blige Blower

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rockinrono

Hi All;
I am new to the forum and just purchased a 2006 Sportster. The previous owner removed the port side fan assembly for the bilge blower so he could mount a second battery and installed a marine transfer switch between the two. So, should I just leave it or remove the second battery and re-install a new fan assembly so the blige blower can be operable?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rono

curious as to why he would add a second battery to a sportster?? Did he upgrade the stereo system and add additional speakers/amps ect??

As far as the fan goes, I never use it because I fill my boat up at a gas station while on the trailer before dropping it in the water, but I do know that some marina gas pumps will not pump fuel into your boat unless you have the fan running, so I guess it really depends on you.

Thor7000;
Thanks for the response. I know he didn't add any additional speakers, but I don't know if he put in a more powerful stereo/CD. Up here in Maine, they have no fuel docks on the lakes so you have to fill up at a station or at your house. Didn't know if there is any USCG requirement to have one for an inboard motor.

Rono

That is very odd to add a 2nd battery for no apparent reason. I acutally use my blower fan almost everytime i start the boat. Seems these old 2 strokes tend to have a lot of fumes build up in the engine compartment. On a newer 2006 it might not be an bad, but I think it is still a good idea to have it. Should be easy to put it back on. You may even be able to reroute it and leave the battery.

Batteries vs. bilge blower

RFoster130;
Thanks for your thoughts. I had a 21' Allmand with a 351W inboard that I always had to use the bilge blower on before I fired-up the motor. That's a good idea about possible re-routing. From the schematics, it looks like there is an air filter assembly that attaches to the fan under the hatch cover. Maybe I could use a PVC or rubber 90 degree elbow so I could clear the battery. I'll have to buy the fan and filter to see how long that assembly is.

Rono

As a USCG licensed captain, I see a few issues with this whole post. First of all, you are required by law to have a working ventilation system on any vessel with a enclosed engine compartment. This includes the blower.

Second, you should ALWAYS run the blower for at least five minutes before starting the engine. Gas fumes are heavier than air and will sink the the bottom of the bilge. A spark from the starter and boom. Filling up at the gas station or at the dock makes no difference, you can still have a small gas leak.

Third, while filling your boat at the dock, you should NOT have your blower on. It will suck the gas fumes into the bilge. After you finish filling up, you should open the engine hatch and smell for gas. Then turn on the blower for a minimum of five minutes before starting. Every year I hear about somebody blowing up at the dock from gas fumes in the bilge.

If you haven't already, take a safe boating course from the Coast Guard Aux or Power Squadrons, they will cover all laws and procedures for boating safely. You also can get a discount on your boat insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back