Bad Start switch or starter problem? 99 GSX RFI

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rkkoeb

So I have a 99 GSX RFI that I purchase not running and rebuilt the complete motor. I went to start the machine the machine will turn over a few times and then stop. I push the start button and does the same thing. The ski has a brand new battery, so is my start button bad. If I do this a few time it will start and run fine but if I hold down the start button I would expect the start to keep spinning over until the machine starts or if I stop pushing the start button

could be weak battery,,,get it load tested and “removed from the equation” easily…
if you “jump” the starter does turn over?,,start stop switches usually engage or intermittently..
does the crankshaft rotate easily by hand with the plugs out?,,that would be a very good next move.

The battery is brand new and was fully charged when I put it in. I am going to try to jump the starter solenoid and see if I have the same issue. This should at least tell me if it has a bad starter or not.

On my unit the ground wire is on the engine case and not the starter. Is this not correct

On my unit the ground wire is on the engine case and not the starter. Is this not correct
There is a ground mounting option on the starter itself, mine was also moved and mounted to the engine. I moved it back to the starter mount. I've heard sometimes it is moved closer to the spark plugs for better connection but I have no clue if thats a legit reason and or just getting to the starter sucks.

Wow…good question…seems that the more direct connection the better,,,mind you,,,on the 951 the ground is aft of the starter on the bottom of the engine case.,,and not on the starter at all.

Update: So I tried jumping the solenoid and I am getting the same thing. Turns over a few times then stops. I did notice after the ski started it was much easier to get it to start again

Have the battery load tested. I have seen them bad out of the box and cause your exact issue.

I had my buddies battery in before I picked up a new one and it was doing same thing. Do u still think it could be the battery

Check the date of the battery
They usually sit on the shelf for quite some. Typically buying a battery at a store located close to a lake is better and newer.

That battery is nothing special.

I use the Yuasa YTX20HL-BS that has 310 CCA. They used to be $85 on Amazon but have since gotten much more expensive.

ok so I stopped by battery plus and picked up a new battery and installed. Same thing turns over a couple times then stops. I guess next I will try to replace the starter. Any suggestions on which brand starter to purchase?

Your starter bendix is probably going out. Does it engage and run a couple seconds then disengages but still run, just doesn’t spin the motor?

I push the start button and the ski will turn over a few times and just stop. No noise from the starter. I push the start button and again it will turn over a few times. Once in a while it will start. Yesterday I had it running and went down to the water to test and when I put the unit in the water and tried starting the same issue but seems worst due to being under load. I thought maybe my switch so I just my solenoid and got the same issues. This is why I am now thinking the starter might be week especially when in the water and having a load it was worse. Thoughts?

Starter is bad. Probably worn brushes or one has disengaged from the armature. It has enough contact to make a few turns but then loses contact since only one of the two brushes are providing power. My 2 cents...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back