Anyone installed a LISTEN thru the Hull Depth Finder??

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

renomaan

I did a quick search and couldnt find anything like this.

The wife just bought me a Uniden QT206 Digital Depth Finder with the intent of me installing it on our 2005 Speedster 200.

It is an internal mount to the inside of the hull-listen thru the hull type transducer. Range is 2 to200 feet.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience and or lessons learned with this type of device? Best internal location? Any advice?

Thx-Al in PA

I have Karl's old boat, and he installed one in it before I got it. It has saved my butt a couple times. Sand bars, reefs, etc.

Looks like a pretty simple and straigtforward installation.

Yes Karl's write up of the Hawk one is excellent. I am getting the same one he got this winter before spring gets here. I am installing mine where my speedo goes because the speedo doesn't work anymore. I will use my GPS for MPH.

Location specifics

The thread for the install is good! though it describes a drill thru the hull installation, later post in the same link describe the type I have which listens thru the hull without cutting it (called inhull? as opposed to thruhull?)

Anyways, it was mentioned it should be best mounted just fwd of one of the pumps. Arent the pumps external and hanging off the bottom right before the nozzles as Im looking at the rear of the boat from outside?

It sounds like I have very little area to get this right. Too far back it'll have air or cavitation under it and too far fwd and it'll end up being out of the water due to being on plane.

Anychance someone could post a pic of an internal transducer with components near it so I can narrow the location down closely.

Thx

I think you will find Karl's was mounted inside(using a two part epoxy) the same as you are thinking for your own.
Not only do you have the problem of putting it on a place that stays in contact with the water, but you also have to worry about the position on the hull. these boats are made with a fibreglass and wood combination(ie fibreglass/wood/fibreglass) the transducer cannot work if there is air between it and the water, because the wood has air in it it will stop it from working.
You need to find a place in the hull that is only fibreglass. One idea was to fill the hull with a couple of inches of water and place the transducer in the water to try different places, before fixing it to the hull with the epoxy.
keep searching there are a few threads on this that i remember.

The thread for the install is good! though it describes a drill thru the hull installation, later post in the same link describe the type I have which listens thru the hull without cutting it (called inhull? as opposed to thruhull?)

Anyways, it was mentioned it should be best mounted just fwd of one of the pumps. Arent the pumps external and hanging off the bottom right before the nozzles as Im looking at the rear of the boat from outside?

It sounds like I have very little area to get this right. Too far back it'll have air or cavitation under it and too far fwd and it'll end up being out of the water due to being on plane.

Anychance someone could post a pic of an internal transducer with components near it so I can narrow the location down closely.

Thx

I never Drill thru the hull to mount the transducer. You need to read my thread from the first post. Everything is described in the first couple posts.

Karl

Pics missing?

Yea, my bad-I glanced thru and saw the hole saw without reading it all.

I dont see a pic of the transducer mounted though? I only see thumbnails of a few pics, tools, guage, epoxietube, overall boat. Am I missing something or could a pic have dropped off the post?

Thx

Go to post # 3 is a picture of the transducer in the bottom of the hull installed. Click on the thumb nail.

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back