installation of HAWKEYE depth finder in seadoo speedster

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt

This is a procedure for installing a HAWKEYE depth finder on a 2007 Speedster. 1) mount the display on the left side control panel where the 12 volt charger outlet is. Remove the DESS, starter button and 12 volt outlet from panel. Remove panel from dashboard ( it is attached with double faced tape). Drill at SLOW SPEED a 2" hole where the 12 volt outlet was (PLEASE USE A HOLE SAW AND CAREFULLY CENTER THE HOLE & USE A PIECE OF WOOD CLAMPED TIGHTLY AGAINST THE PANEL then drill a 1"1/4 hole below the starter button to reinstall the 12 volt outlet. See photo. 2) Wire the unit to the back of the seadoo digital display by disconnecting the plug from the display ( it has a tab you pull down on to disconnect the plug) Attach the red wire from the depth finder to the purple wire from the display cable and the black wire to the black. ( You will have to skin a small portion of the insulation on the wire to expose the copper wire. Please solder the connections, I tried an automotive squeeze connector and it did not work. By wiring this way, DESS on, depth finder on, DESS OFF, DEPTH FINDER OFF-NO BATTERY WORRIES) Reconnect the plug to the digital display (Please do all work with BATTERY SWITCH IN OFF POSITION!!!)
3) Put the transducer in the engine compartment and run the cable from it through the drivers side of the boat and come out inside the compartment where the radio is. Connect THE TRANSDUCER CABLE to depth finder display cable and tighten connnector. 4. You are ready to mount the transducer in the engine compartment. 5) I mounted the unit on the drivers side in a depression below the black box on the engine wall- See Photo. I mounted with silicon and it worked the first time I went out on the boat. Now that the silicon dried the transducer is problematic. I think the location is good but the silicon is not ok to use (it blocks the sound) I will now try the transducer in a plastic bag filled with water. If that works on my next outing I will epoxy the transducer in place. I purchased the D10DX.01T-B Hawkeye unit for $89.99 for a refurbished unit with 90 day warranty. The unit has air temp, water temp, high and low depth alarms,green back lighting and red warning back light on alarm activation in addition to noise alarm. I like the unit!

Attachments

• IMG_4339.jpg
    IMG_4339.jpg
    562.3 KB · Views: 461
  • IMG_4367.jpg
    IMG_4367.jpg
    457.2 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_4368.jpg
    IMG_4368.jpg
    448.8 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_4373.jpg
    IMG_4373.jpg
    540.1 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_4383.jpg
    IMG_4383.jpg
    624.2 KB · Views: 378
If your transducer has a temp unit,it needs to be mounted on the outside as it won't send the temp. through the fiberglass hull. It needs to be on the outside of the hull to be accurate. Silicone is never a good to use... use slow dry clear epoxy if you must secure in the hull.

Karl

Hey Karl,
That's a nice read.

I've had mine in my Utopia for about a month. Worked great for about 2 weeks. When I got it back from the shop it doesn't read right. Most times all that appears are the lines that go across the screen. Sometimes it'll pick up a reading, maybe once or twice randomly. Any idea what might have caused it? Is there a way to reset it?

If your transducer has a temp unit,it needs to be mounted on the outside as it won't send the temp. through the fiberglass hull. It needs to be on the outside of the hull to be accurate. Silicone is never a good to use... use slow dry clear epoxy if you must secure in the hull.

Karl

Karl, thank you for the info. Your original post on installation was very helpful, especially the wiring information. When I switch to epoxy from silicone I hope to get good results from the depth finder. I want to go for an inside install because I can get the boat up to 60 mph and I am afraid the outside mount can't handle the speed. Kurt

Just for the record on my 200Speedster I had mine located in 4 different spots inside the Hull and it would loose the reading more than I liked, so I mounted the transducer outside the hull at center, next to my speedo sensor...It only misses a reading when jumping waves...but that's because it is 6' out of the water...:rofl:

I don't need to know the water temp living here in Florida, as its usually 90* in the summer and never less than 62* in February.

Kurt, Don't worry about the speed as it is only suppose to be 1/4" below the boat bottom at a slight 1/8" angle from the front of the transducer.
I run high 50's (mph) and have no problems.

Karl

Hi Guys, i got a 1995 Speedster and i just bought a Depth finder, where is a good place to mound my transducer? i'm goin out this sunday and want to get this installed. please help.

Kurt - Thanks for your write-up! I installed my Hawkeye this weekend. Here are a couple of notes from my install:

-If you install the gauge as Kurt did, you may need to file a portion of the fiberglass behind the gauge where the assembly stick. The closer to the start button and lower from the top, the less chance you'll have of needing to remove fiberglass. I did this by making several small drill holes and then using a larger bit to smooth the area. Have a vacuum handy to clean up the dust/trimmings.
-To get the cable from the unit to the engine bay, I took a broom (handle side) and wedged it through the foam where the cables run (from the engine bay, right about where the direction/hand throttle controls are. I then reached my hand into the cubby where the wires/stereo is housed (back down where all of the cables go). I found the broom handle, hooked a line on it, pulled it out (engine side), and used the line as the snake. Worked well!
-I placed the transducer directly in front of the engine underneath the fuel tank. This is the lowest point on the boat. It's tight, but doable. I used loctite marine epoxy (Lowes $4.99), squeezed the entire contents, and mixed with a small stick. I then placed the transducer on the epoxy and let it be for about four hours.

I took the boat out and it seems to work very well. The water was very rough, but it kept registering up to 50 (fastest I went). It did --- a few times around 35 ft of water, which I'm assuming has something to do with the bottom. It also --- in the shallow area, but came back to life at 2.5 ft. Wish it would go shallower....

I wonder how far the transducer is submerged being so low in the boat? I estimate about 9-10 inches?

Also - Fiberglass slivers SUCK! Expect a few.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are buying an off-the-shelf depthfinder/fishfinder/graph, you should be able to adjust the sensitivity for shallow water.

Many of us installed this thing for a shallow water alarm, so being able to have it work when rolling over the sandbar is gold. I'm not sure if you have that ability with the Hawkeye or not.

Good luck,

I put one in my X20 over winter and it works great down beside bilge pump. I drilled hole above ign. switch in empty spot. Used my big measuring tape to feed transducer wire. I used plumbers putty to hold the slow cure epoxy. Unfortunately, I think 2.5 is as low as that hawkeye unit reads. Not sure, but the mini hawkeye may read more shallow....1-1.5ft

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a procedure for installing a HAWKEYE depth finder on a 2007 Speedster. 1) mount the display on the left side control panel where the 12 volt charger outlet is. Remove the DESS, starter button and 12 volt outlet from panel. Remove panel from dashboard ( it is attached with double faced tape). Drill at SLOW SPEED a 2" hole where the 12 volt outlet was (PLEASE USE A HOLE SAW AND CAREFULLY CENTER THE HOLE & USE A PIECE OF WOOD CLAMPED TIGHTLY AGAINST THE PANEL then drill a 1"1/4 hole below the starter button to reinstall the 12 volt outlet. See photo. 2) Wire the unit to the back of the seadoo digital display by disconnecting the plug from the display ( it has a tab you pull down on to disconnect the plug) Attach the red wire from the depth finder to the purple wire from the display cable and the black wire to the black. ( You will have to skin a small portion of the insulation on the wire to expose the copper wire. Please solder the connections, I tried an automotive squeeze connector and it did not work. By wiring this way, DESS on, depth finder on, DESS OFF, DEPTH FINDER OFF-NO BATTERY WORRIES) Reconnect the plug to the digital display (Please do all work with BATTERY SWITCH IN OFF POSITION!!!)
3) Put the transducer in the engine compartment and run the cable from it through the drivers side of the boat and come out inside the compartment where the radio is. Connect THE TRANSDUCER CABLE to depth finder display cable and tighten connnector. 4. You are ready to mount the transducer in the engine compartment. 5) I mounted the unit on the drivers side in a depression below the black box on the engine wall- See Photo. I mounted with silicon and it worked the first time I went out on the boat. Now that the silicon dried the transducer is problematic. I think the location is good but the silicon is not ok to use (it blocks the sound) I will now try the transducer in a plastic bag filled with water. If that works on my next outing I will epoxy the transducer in place. I purchased the D10DX.01T-B Hawkeye unit for $89.99 for a refurbished unit with 90 day warranty. The unit has air temp, water temp, high and low depth alarms,green back lighting and red warning back light on alarm activation in addition to noise alarm. I like the unit!

I just finished following this write up only using a HDR 650 Hummingbird. The wiring and transducer placement worked perfectly! I used 2hr marine epoxy and had perfect readings at all speeds. I chose this model for its depth. All the lakes here are about 500-600ft deep, i know it's just the shallow water that matters but I'm always curious how deep it is. Again... perfect readings, no dashes or inconsistent readings even at 50mph in 575ft of water. thanks for the great instructions

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back