Alarm at acceleration

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rock54

My 2004 Utopia with 240 EFI has an alarm issue. Sometimes it will run fine for about 15 minutes before I get an alarm on acceleration but sometimes It starts alarmingly immediately on acceleration . Alarm stops when I back off the gas. Any Ideas? Thanks

It can be a bunch of things. Since you have a 2004... the codes can be read out with a DDT or Rinda tool. If you have a Merc dealer close... they should be able to read them.

But with that said... what kind of alarm is it? (solid, beeping ??) What have you checked so far?

Yes its a solid beeping alarm. Seems like maybe I picked up some weeds?? I went through a weedy area and as I was passing through, got a short beep.... turned it around and headed back to camp. Seemed ok, no vibration or power loss. Just that as I accelerated up, i got the continuous alarm, until i backed off the throttle. The only thing I’ve done so far was pull the fuel/water separator to inspect. It was clean and H2O free. This week i was gunna pull boat out of water and check for weeds. But like i said, its got full power. Also gunna order a temp sensor just in case.

Think it might be a low fuel alarm. Mine used to go off all the time whenever I made any sharp movements with 1/2 tank or less.

Think it might be a low fuel alarm. Mine used to go off all the time whenever I made any sharp movements with 1/2 tank or less.

I have a full tank. Maybe a new separator with sensor will do the trick. Ordering that and pulling boat out of water this week.

Could it be a low charge / voltage alarm, Had a similar thing for a while until the battery died completely. Ok at idle but as soon as i put any load on the engine the battery couldn't keep up not being charged. Symptons got progressively worse as the lack of voltage prevented the cylinders from firing properly. Problem was broken alternator belt. Didn't even notice it missing till i saw it in the bilge. Check back on my posts for replacement details.

Thanks for the idea. Belt is good.Battery seems good, fires right up. Replaced both fuel filters and didnt solve problem. Matter of fact it has gotten worse and I haven’t even been running the boat! NOW it starts its continuous alarm immediately on take off! Not even time for it to warm up. Guess I’ll swap out battery and see what happens.

If you are charging... probably not. But, just put a meter on the battery, and start the engine. It should come up to 13V in just a few seconds if the system is working.

Have you checked to see if water is coming out the pee hole? If it is... its it hot?

Took your advice. 11.4 volts off, 11.2 at idle. Switched out battery. So far no alarm. Imagine that! Thanks for the help.

Somewhat new to the boat, only my second season. However have had this problem 2 yrs in a row with the belt. This weekend stranded me up river and had to call and get a Yamaha to toe me back in. Is it normal to have to replace the belt every season? Will carry a spare and 1/2 drive from now on.

Check for corrosion on the alternator pulley and under the flywheel. I replaced the alternator after my second belt and it hasnt caused a problem since. Old alternator had a slightly corroded pulley but i read somewhere also that if its bearings are poor you might not detect it by spinning it but under speed from the engine it could be adding resistance to the belt.

You may have put a new battery into a system with a bad alternator. Everyhing will be OK until the battery gets low again. Make sure you are actually charging the battery while running.

Definitely sounds like Alternator, As Dr Honda said you should be seeing c.13v across the battery when running. I managed to find a replacement by putting the manufacturing code into google and found the original alternator, Without the Mercury branding on the internet for 1/3rd of the price.

Hi...I have used the DN designation before with the shock pulse method for monitoring rolling element bearings. This technology looks at the shock values and translates the measurements to relative lubrication film thickness or rolling surface damage, whichever applies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back