Accelerator substirute

Status
Not open for further replies.

SurfBeat

The wife has developed a tad of arthritis in her right hand, thus, it is difficult for her to squeeze the stock accelerator on her Kawi 1100 STX. (Similar to a Sea Doo)

Has anyone by-passed or substituted the stock accelerator for another type? If so, please advise accordingly. Getting old is not for sissies.

Our Kawi's have finger press and my 93 GTX Doo's have the thumb press. I found both of them to be akward/bothersome to use, especially when crusing for more than a half- hour cruise.

Because Kawi introduced the PWC to the public and Bombardier followed a few yaars later, as an owner of a PWC since 1993 I would have expected one of the manufactures to devise a pedal or other accellerator device. I guess that is expecting too much?

When I was in the Army in Nam, many of us would routinely modify stock parts of issued gear to make it more user friendly. I was hoping someone on the Forum may have done just that with their PWC.

Hopefully, someone has.

Thanks

Unlike a boat or car, Motorcycles, PWC and Snowmobiles are designed so that the position of the feet can move. This requires some sort of hand throttle.

You could go from thumb to finger easily and vice-versa. Twist throttles have been done as well, but not usually used on Sleds and PWC for the fact that you need to push and pull on the handlebars more than motorcycles. It has been done though.

Good luck,

Twist throttles have been done as well, but not usually used on Sleds and PWC for the fact that you need to push and pull on the handlebars more than motorcycles. It has been done though.

You ever seen one yourself? This is the first I have heard of twist throttles for a Jetski. Now you got me curious.

I have seen some ATV's converted to twist. For safety, I can't say that I would ever want to go twist on a PWC. I have also seen a few sleds converted to the under-the-bar thumb throttle like an atv. These guys wanted to keep their hands wrapped tightly on the bar by doing that conversion.

My Yamaha Waverunners all had a pull throttle, but my Yamaha sleds all had push throttles. I think it is just a matter of what you get used to using. These things are tough enough to keep at a steady speed, so a twist would be the hardest to control on a PWC. There is always the Pin-it and Forget-it mentality! HA! That wasn't an option on the GP1200r or GP1200.

I have seen some ATV's converted to twist. For safety, I can't say that I would ever want to go twist on a PWC. I have also seen a few sleds converted to the under-the-bar thumb throttle like an atv. These guys wanted to keep their hands wrapped tightly on the bar by doing that conversion.

My Yamaha Waverunners all had a pull throttle, but my Yamaha sleds all had push throttles. I think it is just a matter of what you get used to using. These things are tough enough to keep at a steady speed, so a twist would be the hardest to control on a PWC. There is always the Pin-it and Forget-it mentality! HA! That wasn't an option on the GP1200r or GP1200.

I do have a twist throttle on my ATV and for safety reasons NOBODY else rides it. I was curious if you ever saw twist throttles on a PWC

I can't say that I have. Not even the racers. The only reason it would not work would be that they were not designed for water. Otherwise, almost all of these vehicles run throttle pretty much the same. So converting to push/pull/thumb or twist should not be an issue at all.

So the ability to do it is there. If it could take being exposed to water may be another story. I don't think any of the pwc are throttle by wire that I know of. Some of the new boats and sleds are throttle by wire, but I have not seen it on PWC. I think they are all still mechanical.

I am sure my 93 SD GTX accelerator operated by a cable, so I presume most PWC's are likewise. I don't like the idea of "pinning" it because if I found myself in need of a quick stop, or fell off it, then so long PWC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back