'99 Speedster: Oil Tank Sensor, Engine lock, By-a-hair Throttle Cable, expectations?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

100guard

[New here on the forums, & first time Seadooo'er]

So, on Saturday we embarked on our 10th hour out in our new (to us anyway) boat, before it, I checked the oil. It was 2/5ths of the way from the MIN to MAX markers. There's still a good 3-4" below the Min marker anyway., so I figured since it was just half way between min/max when I first took it out 8~10hours ago, I wasn't going to burn anything significant in the 1-2hours we were headed out for, so would be fine.

We headed out and right when I started up I noticed the eng oil light come on :willy_nilly:. I opened the hatch, looked in, and it hadn't suddenly drained empty (was at the same level)., so I figured it was a wiring glitch? Or sensor wasn't placed properly?

Headed out 15mins., no problems, then just-like-that the Left Engine died
5.gif
5.gif
. It just went from full speed (or what I know in it's sub-optimal condition to be full speed) to dead. Whatever I tried wouldn't get a turn. Just a clunk.

(Background: Lt Throttle Cable was kinked or stretched sometime with the previous owner, so I knew I needed to replace it, but it has been working reliably well up to this point. We tested it the first day I bought it, and it seemed to hold well.)

The Oil light would come on for 10mins then off, and cycle. I'm assuming the sensor is situated quite high then if I still had so much oil? Does anybody know if the oil is sucked from the BOTTOM of the tank or is it sucked up by a dropped tube? Maybe the tube isn't reaching the bottom half of the tank? Are there TWO tubes? One for left, one for right? And maybe the Left tube didn't reach the oil level in the tank?

Anyway, the Rt Engine still worked fine, THANKFULLY, so ended up 'limping' (lol., love that expression) back to the dock, a good 45mins if not more. Very strange experience riding in my Speedster AND able to have a normal conversation with my parents all the while (Yeah go figure, they FINALLY come for a visit and the boat dies on me lol. Well...at least I was able to get a good handful of screams out of my Mother, thanks to the Indy 500 cornering capabilities of this boat :thumbsup::thumbsup: ). It was actually nice to know I could, if ever again, coast along at a very slow speed-though I doubt that'll happen :drool5::drool5:

SO....

Pulled it out of the water., checked the impeller., no weeds., no flip-flops., no rope.

The sound it makes upon trying to start is a clunk., Just one clunk. Nothing is turning over., but Starter is working since it is trying to turn something?

The Rt Engine, starts fine, no problems.

If it was truly a low oil issue, wouldn't this affect both engines? I guess the only way is if coincidentally, simply stated, the left engine oil feeding tube (what's the techincal name for this?) got clogged or...?

My buddy who knows about basic trouble shooting, looked at it as we drove past his place coming back, and he didn't see anything obvious.

I'm headed back to the place that I took it to for an hour of labour to see if they could temporarily & quickly tune the throttle cable as is (before replacing them-but of course they can't source the cable...which surprises me, because In 24hours, I've already found TWO potential custom cable suppliers thanks to this forum :cheers: ). I asked the guy, if his diddling would negatively impact performance as I had used it for 10hours up to that point-reliably!, and he said yes definately.

Assuming the lt Eng didn't get any oil...what's the worst case scenario? What's the likely scenario? What kind of repairs am I looking at cost-wise? be gentle. What happens when an engine is "seized"?

The only other thing I can pull out of the air, is if the Lt Cable finally snapped? If you don't have a cable putting even the least bit of tension on the throttle...what would the engine ignition sound/sequence be like? Shouldn't it turn over at least? or not at all?

Be gentle anyways oh wise Seadoo Veterans.

EDIT: Turned out Engine was fine., Jet Pump Seized. Cone was cracked by previous owner over tightening, is being rebuilt. Engine was OKAY!!! Sensor was just low.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got lots of thoughts here, so i will post them in a easy way to read.

1. The oil light isnt always 100% accuarate. Mine will come on when there is a half tank of oil sometimes. I try not to ever get it below a half tank. I think its like a 2 gallon tanik, so a half tank of oil will feed an entire tank of gas at full throttle. I always just keep a spare gallon in the storage compartment because you cant always find it if you are out on the water and somehow it runs low.

2. The oil tank feeds both engines from the bottom. On the bottom of the tank you will see 2 small hoses coming off. Follow both of them to make sure they arent split and leaking. During the process of following them, you will see each one has a filter. Those should be changed about every 2 years. I just do it yearly since they are only 12 bucks each.

3. It is possible the left engine has lost oil somehow and locked up. Follow that oil line and see if there is oil in it.

4. Throttle cable should not cause this. When you try to start, does it crank like its trying to fire or just the thunk noise like the starter cant turn over.

It is odd to just die while going full speed. Does kinda of sound like the engine may have seized, but i wouldnt write it off yet. Hopefully you didnt go too fast with just 1 engine. Anything over 5 mph will allow water to be forced into the non running engine. You need to take the plugs out and see if you can turn it over.

Thanks for the thoughts. Using the same numbers you replied with.

2. Good to know they feed from bottom. Makes sense now wouldn't that. I will get those filters done annually yes indeed. You know I even ASKED the friggin Seadoo dealers around here and they said there's no filter that needs changing. Thanks a lot.

3. will do and get back. It's raining currently.

4.No it doesn't crank. Just CLUNK., and that's it.

I stayed at 5mph. I tried to rev it up to go to 10 or so, but it didn't feel right at all., so I settled at a true zombie-like-limp.

I read about that water in engine when being towed in last night....AFTER the incident., No clue what's the sitrep on that as of now. Does that mean water gets into the engine and it is 'flooded'? So it needs to be drained now? Big job? Small Job?

I'll see what I can do with your suggestions and holler back. Pls keep it dumbed down with me though., the plugs?? Spark plugs? lol. /facepalm.

When I powered it back on it sounded normal yes. I'll have to listen again? Are there subtle variations that are diagnostic-related?

I got side tracked and then had a quick hour to take the boat in during the middle of the day, so I just dropped it off before checking.

These guys must be bussss-zeeeee., cuz I didn't hear a peep back from them all afternoon. I'm wondering how many days it'll be now before I even get an idea of what happened...& how bad :D.

Good luck hearing anything back. Most shops around me are backed up for weeks this time of year.

haha..LOL., tell me about it. The irony is after the 18th, I'm going to be away for TWO BLOODY WEEKS :(. Thank GOD!!! I was able to get 10hours of boating out of this new purchase before this *cough* incident.

If it's all good to go by the time I'm back...you better believe I will be among the last boaters out on the River before winterizing this, hehe.

Ive had a rough summer. I have only spent 1 weekend on the boat. The wife is pregnant, so next year will be about the same. I have had it 3 years and put less than 20 hours on it.

Good Lord!!

We were out in it nearly every other day for 2 weeks now.

I feel your pain! I'm a little itchy & scratchy myself here going through (what I know will be) long-term withdrawals hehe. It's a bright sunny day today LOL. How many you got so far? First baby?

Ive got one, this will be the 2nd. That is part of the reason I havent used the boat much. the first year the wife was pregnant, then last summer we had a 7 month old baby. Now this year pregnant again and next year a new baby. so it might be another season or 2...lol.

FINALLY, got a call just now. JetPump seized. Engine works fine otherwise. Should I be happy it's the jetpump or would it have been better the engine? How much is a jetpump??

Shop is having trouble getting the impeller off he says?? Never had such an issue before. Anyway., what can I expect with this now? He mentioned needing to take somewhere to heat up to see if he can separate parts inside or something?? If yes, then salvagable? Ir not., then pooched?

I'm also picking up the cables and will be overnighting them to the place in Canada to see if they can make them up for me. Will ask the shop about the fwd/rev cable questions (that Capt Steve has mentioned to me) & that if it actually needs to be replaced or if an adjustment is all that's required.

You are lucky. I would definitely rather it be the pump. If it got hot enough it can weld the impeller on where it wont come off. Your best bet is to find a complete assembly and swap it out. You can find the whole thing on ebay for 200 to 300.

So...when you say 'where it wont come off'...you mean...absolutely? They're fused? Any point of the shop bothering to try?

Complete assembly means., the plastic housing, the inner metal core, and the impellar? Do I search for this boat (keyword?)

Should I go ahead and replace both since the boat is apart now?

You are lucky. I would definitely rather it be the pump. If it got hot enough it can weld the impeller on where it wont come off. Your best bet is to find a complete assembly and swap it out. You can find the whole thing on ebay for 200 to 300.

I couldn't find the entire thing. Best I found was that one for 200, used., with a chipped slicer., and no impeller. Will keep looking. If anybody can help., Would appreciate it.

There are a bunch on there. There are other 140mm pumps that will fit. Im not positive about the 99, but i think it uses the 140mm pump with the bigger hub. Here are a few. You need to make sure they have the same hub as yours. The impeller also will probably be different. You may need to send yours someplace like sbt to get swapped out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sea-...ZPersonalQ5fWatercraftQ5fParts#ht_3554wt_1167

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...tZPersonalQ5fWatercraftQ5fParts#ht_500wt_1182

This place can rebuild them or send new pumps. You can always check with them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REBU...tZPersonalQ5fWatercraftQ5fParts#ht_1154wt_941

Thank you, I emailed them to find out.

Put up a bst ad in a local kijiji also.

Hopefully something pans out. That one with the housing assembly and impeller is a good price no? Hope it fits.

Jet Pump & Impeller have been separated!!! w00t.

Impeller is good (though my buddy is strongly urging me to buy new ones since one is open....but then I have to get them to take out the second one to put in the second one?) I'm assuming it'll be rebuilt?

$5bills + tax for parts & labour. Apparently obviously all rings and blah blah need to be replaced...shaft? do you refurbish those, or would he be ordering new one? I'm wondering if I should just buy a new one from such as the links above? Sounds like the same price. $350 for a complete housing assembly+impeller...can't go wrong eh?

Do you usually want impellers to be identical?

The impellers need to be the ones made for your boat. You can send yours both to SBT and they can refurbish them or send you some that have already been refurbished for 60 each. If it was mine, I would go ahead and replace both wear rings and refurbish the impellers. Obviously there was a lack of maintenance on the pump that seized. The other pump is probably in bad shape too. I would get rebuild kits for both of them. It should be cheaper than buying whole used pumps. If the shaft is bad you can find them cheap.

Next time try to do it yourself. You could do it all really easy from the info here and it would have cost like $500 for both pumps to be rebuilt with all new parts including the rings and rebuilt impellers.

Well the boat was maintained *allegedly*, is on extremely immaculate condition, *was* especially the engine compartment. The problem with the JPs was that the cone had a crack in it, bolt over tightened?

Previous owner had a BOmbarider mechanic buddy hook him up with maintenance, a dozen jet pump oil bottles and a bunch of new spark plugs, all in the cooler compartment lol.

Just bad luck that we didn't catch the crack, when I say we, I mean my DUFIS friend who came and checked it out lol.

The rebuild kit has all those necessary bearing and rings I take it? Does it have the WearRing/ORing or is that something else?

Actually just checking prices, you can get it all for like $400. SBT also has your shifter cable for 120.

The pump rebuild kits includes all the bearings and seals. Its 50 bucks. Then figure 40 for the sbt wear ring or 60 for an oem. Then if the impellers look banged up they run 60. I would at least pull the other cone and see how the oil in it looks. If t has water in it or metal, then rebuild that one. If not, throw in new oil and seal it back up.

Ive got one, this will be the 2nd. That is part of the reason I havent used the boat much. the first year the wife was pregnant, then last summer we had a 7 month old baby. Now this year pregnant again and next year a new baby. so it might be another season or 2...lol.

congrats!!!!!!!!
may be a boy in the works

http://www.shopsbt.com/jet-skis/sea-doo-reverse-cables.html

I've bookmarked this place a few weeks ago now., but I can't find the cable for my boat. Which ones it? Doh., under jet boat cables. Doh.
This one?
In the specs sheets (which I can't read for the life of me), I see it #17 in the description $152?. Part No. 204170058 ?? but they don't have this., they have : http://www.shopsbt.com/sea-doo-jet-boat-reverse-cable/27-2170.html for the Speedster SK.
Code: 27-2170
OEM#: 204170074

Hmmm., since I'm getting other stuff, I might just order everything from them.
Wear Ring $34.95 x2
Fwd/Rev Cable $119.95
Rebuild kit? $49.95 x2
Non-marring Bow Rollers for Winch $5.50
Refurbed Impeller x2 $59.95 x2
How do the prices look folks? Other than thoroughly creaming myself at the sight of a chromed out Impeller...as a novice boater (with a large apetite, but a limited budget)., do I need a brand spanking new impeller? Should this suffice? When they ar erefurbishing this impeller...what exactly are they doing? I know a guy or two who's a metal smith. Can I just have them go and refinish this themselves? Do they bang out the dings at the edges if any and just polish down?

& Thanks for the steps ref other jet pump diagnostics.

EDIT., Other stuff a Speedster might need:

Impeller Shaft OEM#: 271000291 $74.99

Pump housing part # is 204160055 and 201160046 both part #'s are for the same housing

Last edited by a moderator:
When i originally looked for your cable i thought you had a 98. When i found that today, it came up for the 99. I would think the SK cable should be exactly the same. I would ask if you can return it if it doesnt fit. I bet it does. Kinda odd they dont list if for the 98 though, ts the same boat.

Refurbished impellers are just as good as new. They fix the blades if any are bent. They then polish the the surfaces and sharpen the edges. It will look brand new. You cant beat it for 60 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back