98 xp limited questions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

surftouch

Hey guys Ive got a few questions for you. I bought this ski knowing it needed some work. Not to big of a deal since I do work on race cars for a living. He we go. The motor is out of the ski, It has low compression on one cylinder, Im doing 2 new pistons std bore and 2 new sleeves. I just want everything stock size. Since the motor is out im going to pull the oil tank, flush and and replace all oil lines and also fuel lines. My question is, How do I bleed the oil lines, and also is there any type of crank case oil that needs to be tended to? I just want to make sure that everything is prestine when this thing is done, Also how do I tell if the oil injection pump is still working? Thanks again

Kyle

There really isn't a reason to re sleeve your engine. They run just fine over sized. It's up to you, but it just adds expense, and doesn't add reliability.

As far as the oil... once it's back together, fill the tank, and open the screw (small bolt) on the face of the oil pump that is in-line with the incoming oil line. Oil will flow out, along with the air. After that, you will start the engine, and let it idle. While idling, you will hold the pump arm to "Full Throttle." The oil should refill the little hoses in just a few seconds. Once refilled, you will be ready to ride.

One thing... since you will have a fresh engine, add enough oil to the fuel tank to make it 50:1. A little extra oil is good while breaking it in.

Last thing. Since you have an 800 engine... you will need to put some oil in the counter balance gear case. It takes 1 oz of your 2-stroke oil.

Is there a plug on the counter balance gear case?... also how much oil should I run in the tank to make sure that im running the proper break in amount? roughly...

theres a plug for the CB assy, unless that is, you got a 98xp-ltd, which then you got a 951 motor, which also has a cb plug too

50/1 = 6gal/16oz oil

I do have an xp limited, with a 951 motor. so there will be a plug on the counter balance cover...

the oil mix this, Im going to keep the original oil injection, i need to also run 50:1 in the gas tank too??.

Also one more thing, the reason why im doing 2 new sleeves is because the one cylinder that haD low compression has some egging to it, and also some big scuffs.

manual mentions, that pump oil or gear oil, should be added to its cavity, every 200hrs, problem is, theres no "drain" plug, so with your motor apart, wouldnt be a bad idea to add one, but then again, it is 200hrs.

The "fill" plug, looks like an allen bolt. Easily visible, when motor is out...:cheers:

yeah how much oil should be put in it then?? until its at the top of the plug?? You also mention before that it takes the same two stroke oil.

I also like to run the brp 2 stroke mineral oil.. Is this good stuff? I just like to stick with what seadoo recommends.

yeah how much oil should be put in it then?? until its at the top of the plug?? You also mention before that it takes the same two stroke oil.

1 oz of 2-stroke oil.

I also like to run the brp 2 stroke mineral oil.. Is this good stuff? I just like to stick with what seadoo recommends.

It's good oil, but as far as I know... they are phasing it out. It's time to switch to the synthetic blend. It will mix with the mineral oil in your injection tank.

Ok you 2 got my confused on what I should put in the counter balance shaft. lol, is it 2 stroke oil, Pump oil, or gear oil. haha

pump/gear oil...same thing. the 951 cb area, is way different then the 787 cb area, which, depends on who you ask, dont bother fillingthat area, but the 951, is a must, with 1.35oz of oil.

Ok so Im going to go to the dealership and get pump oil for the cb shaft oil and put in 1.35oz. How do I know if its low or not? I just dont want to over fill, I can get a plastic sergine and suck it out. then refill it. would that be a better idea??

is the allen bolt a real small hole? just want to make sure im putting this stuff in the right hole. its on the side of the motor without the exhaust or intake right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back