98 gsx ltd intake pipe removal help

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dpmca13

Hey guys I’m a auto mechanic fairly new to pwc jus got a couple skis and plan on rebuilding the carbs but can’t seem to get the last bolt off the intake pipe to get that out to be able to access the carbs...it has the 3 hex bolts and one stud/nut on the carb side, it looks like there’s a cut out so if I jus get the last but loose it should be able to slide off I jus didn’t know if anyone knew of a special tool or anything to make loosening this bolt easier, I was gonna try an offset wrench but idk if that will even work any advice is great thanks in advance I’ll post pics later if needed to show what I’m talking about

Are you talking about the exhaust manifold? That doesn’t need to come off to remove the carbs... Just get the carbs loose and then you can get all the cables off and they’ll slide right out.

Are you talking about the exhaust manifold? That doesn’t need to come off to remove the carbs... Just get the carbs loose and then you can get all the cables off and they’ll slide right out.

No I don’t believe it’s the exhaust, I’m
Not positive it’s the big pipe that’s right on top of the motor I attached a pic of the pipe it’s that black pipe, I know it may not NEED to come off to do the carbs but it most deff will make life a lot easier, but at this point it’s making life harder trying to get the one bolt[emoji2357][emoji2357] so let me know if this is the exhaust pipe/ if U or anyone else has a trick to get that last bolt off

I bent my own. I didn't realize there was a slot till after I got it off. LOL I managed to replace the starter on a RX DI without removing the pipe but that is a differet set up with the throttle bodies. Good Luck

Bent Wrench Manifold net Seadoo (3).JPEGBent Wrench Manifold net Seadoo (2).JPEG

No I don’t believe it’s the exhaust, I’m
Not positive it’s the big pipe that’s right on top of the motor I attached a pic of the pipe it’s that black pipe, I know it may not NEED to come off to do the carbs but it most deff will make life a lot easier, but at this point it’s making life harder trying to get the one bolt[emoji2357][emoji2357] so let me know if this is the exhaust pipe/ if U or anyone else has a trick to get that last bolt off

It wouldn’t let me post the picture it’s the big black pipe that routes towards the bow then wraps to the right side and toward the rear of the ski

I wonder if one of the old distrubutor wrenches would fit? Those were cool. :) Good Luck !!

That pipe is the exhaust. I don’t have a 951 ski to reference, but I thought you could get the carbs out without removing it... I know it’s a pain to get that pipe sealed back up when you reinstall it. Make sure to get the v-band on and tight before you tighten the other bolts up, because it will leak otherwise...

You can get the carbs off without removing the pipe. Just gotta work it from the other side of the ski. I wouldn't pull the pipe to remove and replace the carbs but that's just me. You can get to everything but on my RX I couldn't get to the oil pump adjustment to install the new throttle cable and adjust the oil pump. This was AFTER I replaced the engine so I pretty much knew my way around it. As I always say... good luck !!

That is the exhaust pipe and there is no reason to take it off, you are just making this a bigger project than it needs to be.

And the easiest way to remove the pipe is to remove the carbs first. So just cut out the middle man and only remove the carbs.

That is the exhaust pipe and there is no reason to take it off, you are just making this a bigger project than it needs to be.

And the easiest way to remove the pipe is to remove the carbs first. So just cut out the middle man and only remove the carbs.

Ok thanks again I’m gon go today and try n get the carbs off without removing the pipe

On my 99 gsx i got it off easily by removing the carbs first to get to that lug, however only reason i removed the exhaust manifold was to install fresh gaskets and rethread a starter hole.
Do you have 2 grounds set up in your ski if so where are they connected to ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back