98 GSX Limited DESS Post or MPEM?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

thechosenone16

Hello all,

I recently acquired a 1998 GSX Limited and am having some intermittent start issues. 9/10 times I try to start the ski, it fires up immediately. However, inevitably in the most inconvenient situations the ski is unresponsive. Upon pushing the start button, gauge numbers disappear. No beeping, nothing. Occasionally I can get it to start after reseating the key for 5-10 minutes.

My first thought was the DESS post needs to be replaced, but after watching some YouTube videos and doing some research I’m not so sure. Could this problem be a symptom of a faulty MPEM?

Some additional info:
The ski rarely gives 2 beeps upon key insertion, but the beeper does work as it occasionally gives 1 long beep during the start issues.
Once started, the ski does not shut off by itself as I’ve seen mentioned in several other threads.

I don’t have much experience with this type of ski, so any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I always start at the battery,,charge it up to 12,6 v,,,and then do a load test on it,,,almost seems like the starter is "drawing" too much current

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back