98 GSX Limited No Spark

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Greg 98 GSX Ltd

Hi All. New to forum and jet skis. I was given a 98 GSX Limited that has been sitting in a garage for 4 years. By all accounts it was running fine before going into storage. Been a bit of a headache getting a few things sorted as there has been some “dodgy” wiring done a few owners ago.

Basically issue is that it has no voltage to the primary side of the coil …… static or cranking. Checked with voltage meter and test light. Checked white wire and no voltage. Checked continuity of white wire from coil to MPEM pin plug and all good.

No beeps when connecting DESS key. Put 12v across buzzer and nothing, so at this point thinking that the buzzer is cactus? So now I’m wondering, is it the DESS key that is faulty or MPEM?

I haven’t tested cool as figured no point if no primary power source.

Engine cranks over fine and if DESS key is removed, engine will not crank.

I don’t want to spend money just trying (pot luck) to eliminate issues.

Any suggestions on what to do next would be appreciated. Cheers

check fuses, take apart all ground connections and sand off corrosion. check for corrosion in all plugs and could try electrical contact cleaner.

.The white wire to the coil will only flicker with a test light when cranking.
Test trigger under front cover.

someone else will need to let you know if the "flicker" is what is expected. from my memory that is correct and you probably have a bad ignition coil. you will need to confirm that. make sure your grounds are clean.

check fuses, take apart all ground connections and sand off corrosion. check for corrosion in all plugs and could try electrical contact cleaner.
That electric contact cleaner where do you spray it ?
In all the plugs ?

Figure that stuff shouldn’t be spread in the mpem
Area though ?

i am pretty sure the contact cleaner is non conductive and you can spray it direct into the plug connections. read the instructions but i have read that it is for sensitive electrical components.

Back