97xp blowing 5 amp fuse please help newbie

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

720tobe

hello, im a newbie here and need some help but first id like to say hi to everyone and thanks in advance for your help...
ok i have a 97 xp that is blowing the 5 amp fuse,,, i have done some research of my own and believe that its the rectifier but not 100% I disconnected the yellow plug on the rectifier and it didnt blow the fuse but it still only runs for about 15 sec if i plug it in it blow the fuse but runs about the same time.... I have tested the battery while running and its only getting about 11.3 and while not running its geting about 12 is there any thing i can to to better my decision or do you all think its my mpem please any help would be wonderful... also this ski has aftermarket head, exhaust and carbs if that helps.. thanks

diagnosing...

with the yellow wires unplugged, and the fuse stops pop'n, need to take a look in the stator assy. Possible one or both coils are goin, or wires inside the magneto housing/flywheel housing, are pinched/corroded caus'n the short, or there could be "metal" shavings from the bendix, thats ground'n out the stator, caus'n the fuse to pop...

hello, thanks for your quick reply, forgot to mention i just replaced the starter becasue it went out and wouldnt do anything does this aleter your decision, also would that cause the battery to lose volts while running.. thanks again,,,

as long the connections at starter are clean, along with the ground..it'll be ok. your not get'n the volt read'n, cuz the wires are disconnected.
Take a gander at the stator assy, stud...think you'll find ur answer..:cheers:

i got this reading while it was pluged up and the gear on the starter wasnt wore just the starters elctrics went bad so i dunno about the metal shavings... Were do i access the parts you say i need to check.. thanks again for your help

k would it be smart to replace the rectirier before i tear into it... or are you completly directed away from that also do you need any special tools to pull the magneto off or flywheel

if the "red" wire was disconnected, and fuse stopped pop'n, then i'd say, order new rectifier, but it were the yellow ones, not plugged in, and they lead from the magneto housing...
For flywheel, might be able to get it with steer'n wheel puller/harmonic balancer. Check the threaded holes on flywheel, see if, find some bolts, to thread in there about 1/4in, and then use the puller, to pop it. I know, this works for the 580-717 motors, but you do have the 787...?

k, im pretty sure i did the yellow ones but ill check it again to see which one doesnt pop the fuse ill let you know now im hoping it is the red one LOL....

k, im pretty sure i did the yellow ones but ill check it again to see which one doesnt pop the fuse ill let you know now im hoping it is the red one LOL....

lol..yeah, really,(red wire) but if not, and need to get into mag assy, check the teeth of flywheel, if all ggod, then stator shouldnt be bad, since its located, in front of flywheel, just "mark it" if pulling the assy out, for timing purposes..

so does the mag not have a key way to put it back in its same place is that what your talking about marking

so does the mag not have a key way to put it back in its same place is that what your talking about marking

Flywheel does, has a "woodruff" key, but the stator, bolts up, but the bolts have a slotted hole, to guess, "adjust" when modding...in lame mans terms.

k ill see if i cant do some futher testing on the red and yellow wires tonight and if its the yellow then im going to tear into it and see if its the mag or stator with metal shavings.. i just want to get on the water ;( LOL

post back ur findings and pix before rip'n apart. Pictures can play a roll, if findings are in there, for other members, with similar probs..:cheers:

k i sure will i hope to get to it tonight and hopefully we can find the problem and pass the info along to others thanks agian for your time....:cheers:

should it pop the fuse even if it doesnt start i went back out there and tried to start it without the red and black one and it wouldnt start and then i pluged it back up and it still wouldnt start i dunno if i flooded it or what it has started everytime for me in the past...

ttt just curious of my previous statement didnt no if it should pop as soon as you put the lanyard on or pops while its running....

ok it pops with the yellow disconected but im still wondering it wont pop with yellow hooked up when i put the lanyard on and it beeps like it should but after it starts and runs it pops after a few seconds....

ooops sorry it does not pop with the yellow disconected i didnt post that last time i mis worded it... So to get it straight it does not pop with the yellow un hooked but while hooked up it does also it will not pop if i have it hooked up and just attact the lanyard and dont start it but once i start it and it runs for a few sec then it pops.....

k here is the pics i finally got to work on it today.. all the little shiny parts are framents of steel of shavings so is this whats cousing my prob i couldnt really get a pic of the pickup but on the magnet it had shavings all over it as far as wires they all look to be intact..... also the pic of the round black thing sorda looks like black oil or mix is coming out of the bottom near the screw not the gasket but there is a whole made into the side of it and it looks like its coming out of there.... just wondering what that could be....

Attachments

• seadoo3.jpg
    seadoo3.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 48
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back