97 XP Starting Problems

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanKaren123

Intermittent problem. Engine will not turn over. Remove spark plug it does.

New battery & load tested.
All new wires for battery.
New starter...
Solenoid not new, but checked. .2v drop check on other side.
Compression test was 143psi

Help!

click click click...

Strange!

Well, with 143 psi on the compression, my first idea of it turning over only when the plugs were out would be the starters torque. But you said it was a new one.
There is one other idea I have, depending on your use of the word "intermittent" is timing. If it starts and runs most of the time and this is only happening now and then, that would probably rule out the timing too.
Don, with "Wheels and Waves" owns a PWC shop and has worked on these things for years. Maybe he's run across this type problem before. You can either send him a PM, or wait until he comes into the forum to view your post. He usually reads them all, so I'm sure you won't go un-noticed.
And welcome to the SeaDoo Forum!..........:cheers:

Welcome to the forum....Just a quick question, is the starter new because of this problem or did this problem happen after the new starter was installed? If after the new starter install, the starter could have a flat spot on it causing it not to turn over and, only click the selonoid.

Happens more than not.
Had problem before switching starter...
It amazes me the new battery cables were more than the starter...

Ry

When you replaced the starter did you just replace what was in it or order a new one for the XP? In other words is it the correct starter? Also did you notice any heavy metal filings or chips on old starter gear?...I'm thinking the meshing gear on the flywheel might be in bad shape. It dosen't sound like an electrical problem if all pos and neg wires are new.

I some time have this happen I have to take the lanyard off and put it back on. Some time I have to count to 10 before I reinstall the lanyard.

The ski may have just been shutoff. I will still have to do this Some time it restarts with no problem

It has always started by doing this

Welcome rgpbeme!

Welcome to the forum rgpbeme, glad to have you here!...
I know what your talking about and it's happened to mine a few times. It's usually from the battery being to low to draw enough amps to power up the electronics or the lanyard not making good contact, like you said. But it seems this problem she/he is having doesn't seem to be related. Only because it's stated that a new batter (and load tested) was put in and a new starter. It's further stated that it won't roll over with the plugs in but when pulled out, it'll turn over. So that doesn't seem to be electrical.
In the old days, you could retard the timing on your distributer to get a little bit more horsepower but it often made the engine hard to turn over. Though the timing on the Rotax is, for the most part, predetermined, I'm still wondering if there's a timing issue.
If she/he can share a little more info, it may help. When you say the engine won't turn over with the plugs in, do you still get the two beeps from the mpem? Does the engine make any attempt to roll over and just stop? Are there any clicks? When you pull out the plugs, you say it will roll over freely. By description, this is a weird occurance, so I'll be curious to see what you can do to fix it.
Louis

This may seem dumb but is there any small chance you put in the wrong plugs and the motor is hitting them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back