97 speedster thottle problems and stalling

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kylesb

Hello everyone. Im new to the forum and new to the whole jet boat/PWC world.
I picked up a 1997 seadoo speedster 2 weeks ago and of course everything worked when I went and looked at it. Today was the first day I took it out and ran into some weird problems

My starboard throttle revs to the limiter when I turn the wheel all the way to the left.

My port engine is stalling. Starts and runs fine, stalls randomly under power and is hard to restart.
If anybody has any knowledge on this I would appreciate it very much.

The boat has low speed steering assist. It is a pair of cables that are hooked to the helm control so when you're idling at docking you can control the boat without using much stick control. Both engines should do it. The idle out of water should be @ 3K rpm. where is you're at? That would put in water idle at 1500 rpm. Have the carbs been cleaned, rebuilt, needle and seat replaced?

Welcome to the forum!

It only revs up when I steer left, never noticed it when I went right. It does seem that the wheel rotates about a quarter more to the left more then the right. Not sure if that makes a difference.

As far as the idle, Neither of my tachs work correctly. (SB doesn't work and port sits about 1500) i can say they idle higher on land and lower in water. Person I got the boat from said both carbs had been rebuilt because the boat sat for 5 years.... Could fuel filter cause stalling under power or at idle? Are there fuel filters for each engine?

Well they could have it all adjusted wrong for sure with that wheel being off. Those throttle cables need to be investigated. Unfortunately not knowing what the PO did to the carbs you could be chasing his problems. I can tell you that internally there should be a mini filter in each carb. As far as leading up to the carbs, no idea, that is something you need to look for to see what he has inline. Also, your boat has dual fuel selectors. They can give issues as they gum up inside over time. If it were me here is what I would do, in order.

Compression test on both engines. Ideal is 150psi cold throttles wide open. Do not add oil to the cylinders, that will raise the numbers giving a false reading. (post results)

The following is if the engines pass the comp test.

Visual inspection of the fuel system and its components. Replace any filters the PO installed.
Check the fuel on/off selectors for proper operation.
Pull carbs and verify PO didn't cobble anything up inside, check all components.

If you have a working tach I would swap that over to set the idle properly. Does the boat idle if you bump the throttle up while in the water? I mean, since you're not 100% sure what the out of water rpm is it could be too low. But the last thing the PO touched was the carbs.

Here is the fuel system for your boat

213.jpg

Thanks for the replies and diagram racer. Been busy haven't had a chance to get on here or mess with the boat. Is there a procedure for cleaning or checking the shut off values? I looked around and I think I found 2 filters on fuel lines and another connect to the tank (fuel/water sepertor?). I'm gonna try and replace all easy to access filters, clean fuel values and figure out the throttle issue this weekend. Sitting for 5 years I might pull the fuel pump and inspect the strainer/filter in there as well. Gonna check all my fuses and see if I can bring a tacho to life. The port engine runs but will stall out after a few minutes of idle or throttle.

Finally got around to doing the compression test. 110 is what I seem to be getting on all four cylinders.

You're definitely on the low end of compression that's for sure. But run it and then re check it. If it stays that low it's getting close to a rebuild.

Went out again yesterday for a few hours. My steering needs to be adjusted badly and my throttle assist I couldn't seem to adjust at all. My port motor is still running weird actually sounds different from its twin and it's still stalling. Other then that the boat was very fast and a lot of fun. I appreciate the knowledge racer thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back