97 GTX low power and speed

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

beranrl

I am new to PWC, and just bought 2 97 GTX units. Recently while riding I noticed one of them was slower than the other, and that the impeller area was not as quiet as the other. When my son had it out last week it was much slower, and impeller areas was making a whining sound. He immediately shut it down, and quit riding it. When I went to start it, it doesnt turn over. Could this be an rebuild to the impeller, or motor issues now? Please let me know any thoughts.

Is this a premix ski? If not does the oil tank have sufficient oil in it? Did you mix two different oils together because this can cause a gel to form and clog the oil injection system causing engine failure. Have you checked the jet pump for obstructions and or rope stuck around the shaft? Is the battery good?

Thanks for the reply. We did mix some oil, as no sea doo oil was available, but all had the proper ratings for the units, and the person I bought them from couldnt remember the brand of oil, only the ratings used. I will check the impeller housing tonight when I get home. How hard is it to replace and rebuild the impeller area?

I guess I should clarify further. The oil you used might be rated for the ski but it might not compatible with the other oil that is in the tank. For instance, Mixing mineral oil with certain types of sythetic can cause oil injection failure. Since you don't know what the previous owner used I would check both ski's carefully to be sure this hasn't happened.

As far as the pump goes I have not rebuilt one personally but generally you're looking at replacing the wear ring, Inspecting and or replacing the impeller which requires a removal tool, Changing the jet pump oil (80-90wt.)and sealing everthing back up. All of these things can be handled by the average shade tree mechanic.:)

If the pump look obstruction free pull the spark plugs out and see if you can get it to turn over that way. My skis for are basicly the same as yours, I can take off the intake grate and turn the shaft or you can remove the pto cover and turn it that way.

I will check the oil on both units for capatabily, one runs great right now. I plan to inspect the cylinders tonight, and rave valves. I am hoping it is obstruction. I also noticed the reverse cover is not adjusted correctly right now also. That probably impacted the speed initially.
Thanks

heylo to ya... i just noticed that you said you pre mixed a lil because seadoo was out of the oil... what did you use to pre mix.... and furthermore, please say there was at least a lil oil in the tank... when you run pre mix you need to set the motor up for this... i.e. oil pump block off and looping the lines to the rotary or set the tank up properly for this...even with a premix you HAVE to make sure somehow someway oil is still getting to the rotary valve/gear (line that goes under carbs) if not you may have some pretty narley problems

Hello,
I guess I should clarify, mixing oil was 2 different injector oils in the oil tank, not premix fuel and oil. Where is the best place to inspect the impeller / pump?

This has been interesting. It doesnt appear to have any obstruction in the impeller area, and no play in the shaft. I used to be an avid snowmobiler, and raced skidoo a bit. I tore apart the rave valves, one was in upside down, plug was very black, and leaking from the gasket area. This in now corrected. Not sure if this is the total fix. Battery was supposed to be new, tested it, no good. If anyone has any other ideas or things I could check, please let me know. I really want to use these this weekend if possible. Compression is good also.

Thanks

This has been interesting. It doesnt appear to have any obstruction in the impeller area, and no play in the shaft. I used to be an avid snowmobiler, and raced skidoo a bit. I tore apart the rave valves, one was in upside down, plug was very black, and leaking from the gasket area. This in now corrected. Not sure if this is the total fix. Battery was supposed to be new, tested it, no good. If anyone has any other ideas or things I could check, please let me know. I really want to use these this weekend if possible. Compression is good also.

Thanks
So you got it to crank over? Will it start? If you are jump starting it be sure to boost from a non running vehicle or you can create more expensive problems!

I was charging the battery, not full yet, but I hooked it up, and will not turn over with the battery, have not jumped it. My son now told me that it quit going 40 mph on the lake, electrical flashed on dash, and died? Then it wouldnt start. I have had some problems with the tether cords, could water have gotten into the crank from the sudden stop, and now motor wont turn over?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back