96 xp switching to single gauge hood

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brprxt215

Hi all, does anyone have the wiring diagram for the info center and vts gauges for a 96 xp? I am trying to switch from the stock hood to a single gauge hood. I went slowly and carefully but after hooking all the wires back up I don’t get any beeps from the mpem and it won’t crank:( just trying to figure out what each color wire does so I can trace my issue. On a positive note I did get the trim hooked up right as it goes up and down properly but my gauge isn’t working so I need to trace those wires as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Trying to get it fired up for the first time after a long winter!

My guess is that you crossed the purple(power) and the black(negative) and have blown a fuse. Check the blue 15a fuse in the rear box first and then the fuses on the MPEM if the rear one is good.

Check out this page Observations on Sea Doo Gauges Similarities
All fuses are good. After thinking about it more. Is the circuit going to be open since I didn’t hook up the speedo gauge wires since I will no longer be using it? I just bought a new to me used wiring harness to restart with. It was a long winter and I cut the wires last year and took like two weeks to rewire it waiting on warm days. Now I will just wire it all in one day and try and work things out.

They are all color coded according to function. I have them memorized so ask here if you need anymore help.

On those VTS gauge wires your looking for brown and brown w/ black stripe. The amount of resistance between them is what moves the needle up and down. If you touch them together it should peg the needle.

They are all color coded according to function. I have them memorized so ask here if you need anymore help.

On those VTS gauge wires your looking for brown and brown w/ black stripe. The amount of resistance between them is what moves the needle up and down. If you touch them together it should peg the needle.
Perfect Matt I appreciate the offer and the help! I’ll let you know how I make out later this week when I get the new wiring harness!

Hey Matt will using a new harness have an effect on the mpem?! I just thought about that. I bought this harness to connect to my gauges.

Attachments

• 80F25B0E-7FF8-44BF-8B85-3E234F24727B.png
    80F25B0E-7FF8-44BF-8B85-3E234F24727B.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 8
Wires are just wires. It all depends on how you hook them up. Understand each wire's function and don't cross the + and -. You will be fine. You probably didn't need that harness sometimes you just have to use different color wires to get the message from A to B.

Ok that sounds good thank you Matt. I just bought it to use since I hacked my original ones on my failed attempt. I am probably going to just use my old ones and use that one for reference along with the wiring diagram. I think I will be all set now as long as I do it all at once and don’t forget where I left off!!! Thanks again for your time and help!!!

Attachments

• FC262120-E2D7-454C-9BC2-1E8F4F008E42.jpeg
    FC262120-E2D7-454C-9BC2-1E8F4F008E42.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 12
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back