96 xp starting problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
ski was running fine, all of a sudden it will not crank. the solenoid engages but the motor will not turn over. If I remove the plugs the motor turns over fine. Put the plugs back in and the solenoid engages but no motor crank. Disconnected the battery and put the ski on my car battery, same thing the motor will not turn over unless the plugs are removed. Any thoughts, could the starter motor not have enough power with the plugs in? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Try short out the solenoid
The contacts in solenoid may not be allowing enough current to pass to turn against compression
If no change then next would be starter motor

Sounds like your starter needs a rebuild. If you've never done it before it's a very easy process and can be done in less than 10 minutes. Plus you'll have the added bonus of your starter kicking like a son of a gun again.

Have you been needing to hold the start button longer lately to get it to start?

rebuilt the starter motor. Pressed start button engine turned over 3 or 4 times then stopped. Pressed start button again solenoid engages but engine does not turn over. Help

Now I have another problem, as I said before the engine will turn over a couple of times and then quit. I got the bright idea to pull the plugs and try it. When I did that the engine cranks but gas pours out of the plug holes, any idea why the gas would pour out like that?

Leaking needle and seats in the carbs is the only way.

That’s why it won’t crank over, you can’t compress a liquid.

You sure it is only gas and not oil?

Turn off the fuel, turn the engine over with the spark plugs removed.... ground the wires first. Spin the engine till it is pretty dry. Leave the gas turned off. Install the spark plugs, wires and turn the engine over. It might fire. If not, remove the spark plugs and put a little fuel in the cylinders and put the plugs back on. It should fire if you are getting spark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back