96 XP revival

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

For any interested parties. I told myself I was going to turn on Three 6 Mafia and have that thing flipped over in 20 minutes. The video above is the result

I got my hands on some MEKP locally. I now have everything I need! I think.

Taking a half day tomorrow to fill in all the voids I ground out. I will Marinetex all of them and then wait until Friday to cure. Then Friday I'll sand the whole thing down with 220 grit, tape it off and hopefully spray on Saturday!

The Donkey in it's current state:
IMG_20200329_152323.jpg

IMG_20200402_152209.jpg

IMG_20200402_152205.jpg

I am missing a screw for my steering nozzle. Are the top and bottom screw the same here? Just a stainless allen head?

IMG_20200404_173014.jpg

IMG_20200404_173005.jpg

All done! Obviously the paint is still wet in this picture. I had a couple of runs on the vertical parts that I will have to sand but otherwise I think it turned out okay. Took me a little bit of time to get used to shooting with an HVLP gun. It's orange-peely but that's okay because it's the bottom of the ski

Last edited:
Inline sander is a blunt instrument. You will right through the gelcoat with that. Watch some videos to see how autobody techs color sand paint. Add some dish soap to your water to reduce friction. Stay away from high spots.
It's weird that you got all that orange peel. That should not have happened.
Tomorrow may be too early to sand.

Inline sander is a blunt instrument. You will right through the gelcoat with that. Watch some videos to see how autobody techs color sand paint. Add some dish soap to your water to reduce friction. Stay away from high spots.
It's weird that you got all that orange peel. That should not have happened.
Tomorrow may be too early to sand.

I'm not in doubt that my technique was wrong. In the areas of the keel where I laid on extra coats it is extremely smooth. I think my application was uneven

You shouldn't have to cut or remove any foam....

I use a deep 10mm socket and a piece of tape to hold the nut in.
Then I use a stud to thread into the nut or you could cut the head off a bolt to align the washers. I then install the lock washer and the flat washer on the stud and using a couple drops of super glue to hold the washers to the nut. I use CA kicker to instantly cure the glue then carefully unscrew the stud/bolt. Now you have the nut and washers stuck together and the nut held in the socket. Now yo can use a socket extension and a mirror and get the nuts on in one shot and not drop anything into the hull.

I am installing aftermarket sponsons with nylock nuts and a huge backer board so I have to remove foam.

Any tricks for aftermarket?

I am installing aftermarket sponsons with nylock nuts and a huge backer board so I have to remove foam.

Any tricks for aftermarket?

Depending how much foam you remove may want to add an auto bilge afterward. The foam added from the factory is just enough to keep the thing from falling to the bottom of the lake encase it floods.

Last edited:
After cutting out all of the foam and getting the sponsons in, has anyone been able to put some foam back in its place? Or are people with aftermarket sponsors just saying screw it and leaving it out

I've seen the foam glued back in and it's a proper way to go. Some of the time it's not an option because the foam breaks into a bunch of random sized bits.

Yeah mine broke apart into tiny pieces of crap. I'd like to do the right thing and get something back in there. Does the foam offer any type of structural support or is it purely floatation?

Only flotation.
A lot of the freestyle guys use the rigid pink foam boards from HomeDepot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back