Shop Discount Sea-Doo Parts

96 XP revival

Water Crafts
1996 XP
Hey guys looking for a little help bringing my 96 xp back to life.

It's been sitting for 4 years. I have some parts on hand ready to go in it that I bought for it 2 years ago but never got around to installing it. The starter went out and I knew there was some carb issues because it has the grey fuel lines and it started running like shit.

I have a jet pump rebuild kit, some carb rebuild kits from SBT, a new starter, and new fuel line.

The engine wasn't fogged when it was put away last so i imagine there is some corrosion inside of it. Should I just pull the engine out of the hull and check crank seals, etc or should I just pull the carbs and rebuild them.

My plan was to do all the fuel lines, clean/rebuild the carbs, rebuild the jet pump, fill it and ride the bitch.

Let me know what other things you guys think I should do

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
Water Crafts
1996 SPI, 1996 GTX, 1997 GTX
Hmmmm.... 4 years sitting. Pull the rotary valve while the carbs are off and have a look inside at the crank. Compression test and make sure your carb kits are genuine Mikuni parts. I just did this ski over the past several months. I was sitting in a yard and beat to hell. I'm putting the finishing touches on it now. It's giving me a little trouble and I think it's the carbs. Runs 55mph on the GPS though but I know there is more to be gotten. 1996 XP Body Work (1).JPG XPs on Trailer.jpg

Ckrawiec

Water Crafts
1996 GTX
2017 Spark 2UP
2018 GTS
2006 Bayliner 185BR

It's been sitting for 4 years [the inhumanity - :oops:]. I have some parts on hand ready to go in it that I bought for it 2 years ago but never got around to installing it. The starter went out and I knew there was some carb issues because it has the grey fuel lines and it started running like shit.

I have a jet pump rebuild kit, some carb rebuild kits from SBT, [Throw those away - buy genuine Mikuni carb kits],a new starter [OEM or aftermarket - AM is usually junk], and new fuel line [25' of 1/4" black automotive fuel line should do, should replace fuel/water separator and fuel selector switch while you are at it].

The engine wasn't fogged when it was put away last so i imagine there is some corrosion inside of it [ Can you turn the PTO by hand easily?]. Should I just pull the engine out of the hull and check crank seals, etc or should I just pull the carbs and rebuild them [New fresh battery, check all electrical connections, what was the fuel situation when stored - probably all gunked up in the carbs by now].

My plan was to do all the fuel lines, clean/rebuild the carbs, rebuild the jet pump, fill it and ride the bitch [IF it starts - fingers crossed].

Water Crafts
1996 XP
Thanks for the reply.

I have a 25 ft roll of fuel line on hand. I'll get genuine mikuni stuff, I read the carb rebuild sticky. Good info in there. What's the best place to source the other parts you listed?

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
Water Crafts
1996 SPI, 1996 GTX, 1997 GTX
I'd recommended the polishing of the Gel Coat like many do on the forum. The body of this one was too dinged up for polish. I had to repair and a paint. I don't recommend all that work or expense in just materials.

Water Crafts
96 XP 800 Limited Class

It's been sitting for 4 years. I have some parts on hand ready to go in it that I bought for it 2 years ago but never got around to installing it. The starter went out and I knew there was some carb issues because it has the grey fuel lines and it started running like shit.

I have a jet pump rebuild kit, some carb rebuild kits from SBT, a new starter, and new fuel line.

The engine wasn't fogged when it was put away last so i imagine there is some corrosion inside of it. Should I just pull the engine out of the hull and check crank seals, etc or should I just pull the carbs and rebuild them.

My plan was to do all the fuel lines, clean/rebuild the carbs, rebuild the jet pump, fill it and ride the bitch.

Does it start and run? I have restarted doos that hav water to the top of the cylinders, start with a good fresh battery, (clean connections), and clean plugs, if it doesn't start, check that you have fuel in the fuel water separator, that will rule, or rule out blockages in the fuel pick up and or fuel selector.

If not that, take a compression test, and of course before that check for spark, no spark, means no start regardless of the issues that I have suggested you check for.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

SPONSORED LINKS

Usergroup

Administrator Moderator Premium Member