96 XP revival

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pwnage1337

Hey guys looking for a little help bringing my 96 xp back to life.

It's been sitting for 4 years. I have some parts on hand ready to go in it that I bought for it 2 years ago but never got around to installing it. The starter went out and I knew there was some carb issues because it has the grey fuel lines and it started running like shit.

I have a jet pump rebuild kit, some carb rebuild kits from SBT, a new starter, and new fuel line.

The engine wasn't fogged when it was put away last so i imagine there is some corrosion inside of it. Should I just pull the engine out of the hull and check crank seals, etc or should I just pull the carbs and rebuild them.

My plan was to do all the fuel lines, clean/rebuild the carbs, rebuild the jet pump, fill it and ride the bitch.

Let me know what other things you guys think I should do

Hmmmm.... 4 years sitting. Pull the rotary valve while the carbs are off and have a look inside at the crank. Compression test and make sure your carb kits are genuine Mikuni parts. I just did this ski over the past several months. I was sitting in a yard and beat to hell. I'm putting the finishing touches on it now. It's giving me a little trouble and I think it's the carbs. Runs 55mph on the GPS though but I know there is more to be gotten.1996 XP Body Work (1).JPGXPs on Trailer.jpg

It's been sitting for 4 years [the inhumanity - :oops:]. I have some parts on hand ready to go in it that I bought for it 2 years ago but never got around to installing it. The starter went out and I knew there was some carb issues because it has the grey fuel lines and it started running like shit.

I have a jet pump rebuild kit, some carb rebuild kits from SBT, [Throw those away - buy genuine Mikuni carb kits],a new starter [OEM or aftermarket - AM is usually junk], and new fuel line [25' of 1/4" black automotive fuel line should do, should replace fuel/water separator and fuel selector switch while you are at it].

The engine wasn't fogged when it was put away last so i imagine there is some corrosion inside of it [ Can you turn the PTO by hand easily?]. Should I just pull the engine out of the hull and check crank seals, etc or should I just pull the carbs and rebuild them [New fresh battery, check all electrical connections, what was the fuel situation when stored - probably all gunked up in the carbs by now].

My plan was to do all the fuel lines, clean/rebuild the carbs, rebuild the jet pump, fill it and ride the bitch [IF it starts - fingers crossed].

Thanks for the reply.

I have a 25 ft roll of fuel line on hand. I'll get genuine mikuni stuff, I read the carb rebuild sticky. Good info in there. What's the best place to source the other parts you listed?

I'd recommended the polishing of the Gel Coat like many do on the forum. The body of this one was too dinged up for polish. I had to repair and a paint. I don't recommend all that work or expense in just materials.

It's been sitting for 4 years. I have some parts on hand ready to go in it that I bought for it 2 years ago but never got around to installing it. The starter went out and I knew there was some carb issues because it has the grey fuel lines and it started running like shit.

I have a jet pump rebuild kit, some carb rebuild kits from SBT, a new starter, and new fuel line.

The engine wasn't fogged when it was put away last so i imagine there is some corrosion inside of it. Should I just pull the engine out of the hull and check crank seals, etc or should I just pull the carbs and rebuild them.

My plan was to do all the fuel lines, clean/rebuild the carbs, rebuild the jet pump, fill it and ride the bitch.

Does it start and run? I have restarted doos that hav water to the top of the cylinders, start with a good fresh battery, (clean connections), and clean plugs, if it doesn't start, check that you have fuel in the fuel water separator, that will rule, or rule out blockages in the fuel pick up and or fuel selector.

If not that, take a compression test, and of course before that check for spark, no spark, means no start regardless of the issues that I have suggested you check for.

IMG_20191110_133940.jpg

Finally got this thing inside. Made a dolly/stand from harbor freight movers dollies and 2x4. Cost me about $30.

I couldn't turn the PTO by hand so I sprayed a little pb blaster in each spark plug hole and let it sit for about 10m. Then grabbed output shaft with vice grips and it broke loose with minimal effort. Appears there is some compression, I put my thumb over each spark plug hole and it blows my thumb off.

Stay tuned! I'm going to pull the engine out of this thing and clean the hull and replace fuel lines.

Started getting at this thing a little. Cleaned the raves and rebuilt the jet pump tonight

Attachments

• IMG_20200204_200715.jpg
    IMG_20200204_200715.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 34
Screenshot_20200212-170317.pngScreenshot_20200212-170225.pngScreenshot_20200212-170236.png

Are WPS parts the same as mikuni?

I thought I was pretty safe buying from a vendor on Amazon whose name is clearly mikuni but received a part that says WPS on the bag, just like the one pictured in the first post.

Should I send it back?

Does anyone have a vendor for genuine mikuni parts? The carb rebuild kit showed up in OEM packaging

yeah I would send it back, WPS sells other stuff, so you could have a Guenine Mikuni or you could have an aftermarket variant, the best bet is to get your stuff from a jetski shop.

What a crock of shit.

How much more could they be like "mikuni, mikuni, mikuni" and shows up incorrect lol

Thanks for the input

What a crock of shit.

How much more could they be like "mikuni, mikuni, mikuni" and shows up incorrect lol

Thanks for the input

Yeah, they can get away with stuff like that because it actually does fit Mikuni,
I got some aftermarket ones once and they stick after like a week and let fuel just drip into the engine.
I always tend to stay away from Amazon when it comes to car and ski parts personally. eBay and actual shops have done me best.

No, that's wrong information. The WPS ones are Genuine Mikuni.

It's easy to tell on the needle and seats because a Genuine Mikuni seat will have the size like 2.0 on the bottom and a little square within a square logo. The square logo is the genuine trademark.

WPS is Western Power Sports which is a distributor of genuine mikuni parts. It is not a manufacturer like SBT and Wonderosa selling knock off mikuni parts.

It's easy to tell on the needle and seats because a Genuine Mikuni seat will have the size like 2.0 on the bottom and a little square within a square logo. The square logo is a genuine trademark.

Yeah, that is the best way to tell, I received some once that were in a similar WPS package but were not genuine Mikuni, I think they were WSM? best way to tell is how you said above. You don't want aftermarket ones is all i know.

I just checked and mine have the little double square logo.

Thanks for all the help guys. Now I'm going to see if SBT will take my carb rebuild kits back that I bought four years ago LOL

I successfully rebuilt one of my carbs and tested with pop off tester. Got it to pop off at 34psi 4 times in a row and called it good. Carb held 10psi for 20 mins after it was all put together too!

I then began rebuilding the fuel pump, and promptly put a hole in the two little black grommets using the ball end allen wrench method like in the carb sticky.

Yes, i fucked up 3 of the 4 grommets that were included in the 2 carb kits.........

Where can i order 10 more of them so i can keep trying? :grin:

Dang that sucks, you could order one of those cheap knock off kits and use the ones it comes with. Note: To keep from punching a hole through them, put a little bit of lithium grease on it and work it in at an angled circular motion..gently.

Last edited:
I messed up a couple myself. I've also made dents in the valve (the little flat plastic piece.) :) That dog gone tool doesn't work either. I put grease on the rubber push with my finger and use a small blade screwdriver to tuck the rubber into the hole... very very gently :D I"m actually thinking of making a took that will work but I'm lazy. So.... don't beat yourself up. :)

Dental floss is what you need to use. Use about 6”wrap a couple loops around the nipple put the rest through the hole and pull it through gently. Oh yeah grease the hole first.
You are welcome

Dental floss is what you need to use. Use about 6”wrap a couple loops around the nipple put the rest through the hole and pull it through gently. Oh yeah grease the hole first.
You are welcome
Wintergreen or regular ??? LOL Thanks so much for sharing that !! I'll give it a try for sure. I do have a plan for making a tool though. :D

Just pulled the trigger on some more parts...

Bought a new fuel selector valve, oil filter, fuel filter, battery, and the little grommets for the fuel pump.

Thanks for the tip on the floss! I'm going to skip buying the tool and try it that way....

Gonna keep picking away at this thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back