96 XP goes into intermittent 'limp mode"

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

xp951

I have a 96 XP which I just bought last week and it worked flawlessly for a couple tanks of gas over the past week. The last couple rides, it seems to go into limp mode for a minute or so right after we start it (after proper warm up). I was trying to find something in old posts, just no luck yet. Anyway, I should get used to posting on this sight. I am a total "NEWB" when it comes to PWC's, however, I know my way around 2-strokes pretty well. I will be looking for lots of tips and advise. I will pulling the "doo" out ov the water tonight and start going through and cleaning raves, checking carbs etc. because I know they have not been done. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi and welcome to the Seadoo forum.

It sounds like you have a bad rectifier/voltage regulator, try disconnecting the red wire, if the problem clears up replace the rectifier. It's located in the front ebox.

Lou

Attachments

• 100_0599.jpg
    100_0599.jpg
    811.4 KB · Views: 29
Well, i disconnected the rectifier and the problem did not go away. After running it a bit, i noticed that the engine would just die like pulling the tether, it would fire right up, but would seem to cut in and out and die again. After doing some reading, this sounded like a dess post issue. I replaced the dess post, but problem still exists. Any more ideas?

Sounds like it may be running out of fuel. First and most important question... Do you still have the grey fuel lines? Next, have the carbs been cleaned? If the grey lines are there, or if the carbs have not been cleaned (at least the internal filter) then you have a huge chance of burning the motor up. Not sure there is a limp mode on that ski. Just a "I am about to blow up because I don't have enough fuel" mode...

Last edited by a moderator:
Listen to Lou
Hey Matt,
Was there a technical problem with my reply? On post 4 he replied that he tried Lou's solution and it did not cure it. Just looking to increase my knowledge, not to "question" your advice. I do not want to be spreading bad information. BTW, Does a 96 XP actually have a limp mode?

Well I don't trust those rectifiers one bit. They act right one moment and then act a fool the next. No I don't think any of the carberated models have the limp mode.

For random shut offs it's the start/stop button a lot of times.

Did he ever answer the grey fuel line question?? This will not cause random shutoff but needs to be addressed

The carbs were supposedly "just cleaned" by mark at sea-doo clinic....who knows. YES..it still has the grey fuel lines. What is the story with these fuel lines? I have seen comments about these lines, however, i didn't find what the deal is with them. I will check the fuel filter later today. Thanks for all the reply's.

If he just cleaned the carbs and left the grey lines on, then he basically did nothing.... You will need to pull the carbs and clean them again and this time REPLACE the grey fuel lines... Although I don't think this is causing your shut off, it definitely needs to be addressed

The basic problem is that ethanol in todays fuel reacts with the brass fittings to somehow break down the inside of the fuel lines. It creates a green goo that plugs or restricts the fittings, and also sends blobs of the goo into the small filters inside the carbs. This can cause a lean issue which can burn up the motor.

If he just cleaned the carbs and left the grey lines on, then he basically did nothing.... You will need to pull the carbs and clean them again and this time REPLACE the grey fuel lines... Although I don't think this is causing your shut off, it definitely needs to be addressed

it very well could be causing it. fuel starvation, lean condition seizing... sound exactly like a grey line problem and should be the place to start imo.

I will replace the grey lines before I run it again. Is black fuel line from auto parts store OK, Or do i need marine spacific fuel lines?

it very well could be causing it. fuel starvation, lean condition seizing... sound exactly like a grey line problem and should be the place to start imo.

It doesn't sound to me at all like a lean seizure.... Atleast from the explanation the poster gave.... I would be leaning more towards an electrical issue myself. But hey everyone has their own opinions, hopefully he will get this fixed and we can learn the issue

It doesn't sound to me at all like a lean seizure.... Atleast from the explanation the poster gave.... I would be leaning more towards an electrical issue myself. But hey everyone has their own opinions, hopefully he will get this fixed and we can learn the issue
sorry about that, just reread that and realized how "attacky" it sounded, guess i need to put my "no posting before 2 cups of coffee" rule back in place.:facepalm: it very well could still be and very possibly could be an electrical issue.

but the grey lines need to be addressed.

to op: you need about 20' of line for an xp 1/4", a new selector (20 bucks), and clean the carbs again. once we're sure the engine is getting its fuel properly, we can help you chase down any other gremlins. :cheers:

sorry about that, just reread that and realized how "attacky" it sounded, guess i need to put my "no posting before 2 cups of coffee" rule back in place.:facepalm: it very well could still be and very possibly could be an electrical issue.

but the grey lines need to be addressed.

to op: you need about 20' of line for an xp 1/4", a new selector (20 bucks), and clean the carbs again. once we're sure the engine is getting its fuel properly, we can help you chase down any other gremlins. :cheers:

Haha no prob at all man, I didn't take it that way. I had already had my coffee lol... I 100% agree, any further advice is useless until the fuel lines and carbs are cleaned and eliminated from the equation

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a little more detail on exactly what it has been doing. I put the new dess post in and i warmed it up on the hoist. When i went to go for a spin, i could not get the thing to plane off, as it would idle great, just no gitty up, this didnt act like a bog, but more of a rev limiter like "limp mode". Just for kicks, I put a new set of plugs in and BAM...this thing ran great for a good 15 minutes! After that, it would start cutting out again. I will replace the fuel lines, and go from there.

What do the plugs look like now? Possibly fouled the new plugs.... After reading that post I'm now starting to lean more towards a carb issue
(sorry purple) [emoji16]

I didn't look at the plugs yet, because my son was riding it and I just told him to park it and take the 951 out as I was irritated at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back