96 xp fuel delivery issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

thomps33

So I'll start this off by saying the PTO side jug has a compression of 130 and Mag side is sitting at 145. So it will be getting a new top end from full bore this winter. I had the carbs rebuilt (by someone else), replaced the grey fuel lines, and cleaned the rave valves myself. The high speed screws are all the way in and I set the low speeds at 1 turn out. It was so lean that it wouldn't even get on plane. So now I have the low speed screw at almost 3 turns out and it still has a lean bog to it. If I give the primer a couple of pumps before I stab the throttle it takes right off. It seems to run fine on the top end, but I have yet to get any readings from the plugs at WOT. Any ideas? I don't know what size jets are in the carb, I'd have to take them apart. Is 3 turns out excessive? I know it could be the pop off pressure, I don't know what it's set at, but I watched the guy do the pop off test myself. He seems to know what he's doing. He used to race the jetskis in the world finals pro-am runabout 800 open and the expert runabout open (he won the championship a few times). He wrenches on snowmobiles for a professional snowcross team for BRP. Thanks. Hoping I'm overlooking something small and easy...

If there isn't a leak in the feed hose (loose clamp, bad select valve, bad O-ring in the filter, etc) then the carbs need to come apart again.

FYI... opening the low mix screw doesn't do ANYTHING to the overall fuel mix. On the low screw... it's a "Trim" for the idle mix. SO... once you are off idle, and the other bypass ports are exposed... then that needle position is irreverent. The pilot jet is what controls the overall, low RPM mix. Basically... it reduces the fuel at idle only, so the engine doesn't load up, in a no wake zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back