96 SPX won't start, gives one beep

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

magiver04

Hello,

I have a 96 SPX that ran good until one day it lost power. Got it out of the water and found that a spark plug wire came out of the boot. Got it home and replaced the boot and connector and now it won't start, just gives one beep.

It does not have the DESS lanyard. Tested the Start/Stop button, Safety Switch, Starter Solenoid, Checked Fuses on main module all appear to be working correctly. (electrician by trade) The only thing that I can find that is wrong is on the Module. When you plug in the lanyard and hit the start button there is no power output to the starter solenoid.

Tried another module from another ski. Same thing. Any suggestions?

It might be your starter solenoid/coil. If you wire came loose and touched the motor it will cause a short. That is way Seadoo made the ground points for the spark plugs. Just a thought check that solenoid.

James

Solenoid or coil? Those are two different things. Starting solenoid is good, jumped a hot and ground to it and the starter turns over. Coil can not be checked easily, but if that was bad the starter would still turn the motor over. The starter is not the problem either.

I thought that it was the module but with the other one that I put in it does the same thing. I get no power feed to the plug that goes into the starter solenoid. And when the start/stop button is pushed I just get a long beep!

you try the solenoid from other ski?you said yuo jumped the solenoid in there now, and it turned the starter. Sounds like bad solenoid...

I jumped the solenoid by putting power where the plug goes, it works.

There is no power from the module to the solenoid on the yellow/red wire on the plug. The black wire has a good ground connection when tested with a test light.

I just pressed the start button 5 times and then pushed in the lanyard kill switch and the start switch and it gave two short beeps.

Any one have any ideas?

Just read in another thread that when you put the module in advanced diagnostics and it beeps twice that is is a lanyard problem. I don't have the DESS key on this model. It is just the normal kill switch.

Well I sure that it is the modules that I have tried. I just rewired the whole electrical box with 4 relays and a mile of wire and the ski runs now. The other used module must have been bad too. I will have to find a new module to see if that is it, but at least it will be ready to go to the lake cumberland in a week.

Well I'm glad to hear you figure it out. I hate when two of the same parts are bad. Congrats and you must be one hell of a electrician to have simply figures out the relays. Good job.

Thanks, I would leave it this way but there is no rev limiter now. I wonder if I could wire and aftermarket one in? I think I will just by a new module and be done with it.

what module are you going to have to buy. the mpem because im having the same problem kinda on my ski just one beep but then in advanced diagnostic i get three.

I had to buy the main module that is in the grey ignition box. Got a new one and it worked. Three beeps I found in another post means short in the DESS circiut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back