96 SeaDoo Challenger start problems

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mendiola_tj

First of all let me just say thank you in advance for anyone who offers their advice and suggestions!

I'm a newbie to the boating world in general and just purchased a 96 Challenger (which has a single engine 787 Rotax) in beautiful condition. When I went to purchase it the seller walked me around the boat and started it up for me for no more than a few seconds while on the trailer. I was ecstatic and towed the boat home and have it sitting in my garage. Here is where I'm not sure if I messed up or not. I started the boat for a friend to see- the first couple times I did not hold down the start/stop button for long enough and it did not completely turn over. On the 4th attempt I held the button down and it started right up which I left on for 4-5 seconds before turning it right back off again. Now I recently went out to lake to go for a drive and before I put the boat in the water I wanted to test start it again (just to make sure when I'm in the lake that I'm not sitting there unable to move) and when I attempted to start the boat it wouldnt! It cranks like it wants to turn over and then nothing. The battery is only two months old but did I drain it attempting to start it? What happened in a matter of a week? Any help!

1.) Does it still have the old gray fuel lines? If it does, search the forum using "Gray Fuel lines". You will have to replace them, and clean the carbs, and clean out the fuel system.

2.) you probably should charge the bat. Be sure to REMOVE the bat from the Doo, BEFORE charging it. You will overvolt the electrical sys. and hurt it if you don't.

3.) If you ever use jumper cables to start it, be sure you DO NOT have the motor running on the HOST end, that is boosting it. Again, you will overvolt it, and cause damage.

4.) I'd pull the little plug off the top of the spark arrestor, and squirt a bit of silicone spray, or pre-mix gas down it, and bump the starter. This makes it start, without cranking it, to pump up the carb. Just to go easy on the starter.

5.) IF you are going to the trouble of replacing the fuel lines, go ahead and get a compression tester.

Let us know how it goes.

Nate

Try charging the battery and then check to see if the charing system is charging the battery. If the charging system is charging the battery check to see if there is somthing draining the battery. If the charging system is not charging the and the battery is fully charged you should be able to use the boat for a few hours before having to recharge the battery but you need to find out why the battery seems weak may be starter or bad conections. I would first check conections at battery and the state of charge and then go from there. It is hard to troubleshoot problems over the net, It would be so much easier with the problem in front of me. :cheers:

Welcome to the seadoo forum mendioal_tj. The big mistake you did is not go for a test ride before taking it home from the old owner. Here is what you need to do. Remove the battery and give it a fully charge, and if it comes good.If in doubt take it to likeAuto zone to have it load tested for free. If it has a bad cell or 2 replace it as it will only cause problems as it is a weak battery. Next buy new plugs, again from Auto Zone...should cost like $2.50 each. It sounds like the spark plugs are fouled. The correct ones are NGK BR8ES, gapped to .24". With a new, or fully charged battery, Be sure the fuel is "on" Pull the choke and hit the start button. It should start up. With out it connected to a hose or in the water don't run it for more than a few seconds so it won't over heat. If it doesn't fire up, give us a shout back and we'll go further to help get it running. Do you know how to run it on the garden hose? With it running on the hose you can run it for about 5 minutes with out doing any over heating damage. If you aren't sure how to run it on the hose give us a shout back and we'll get you in the right direction too.

Keep us posted on you progress, were here to help.

Karl

Karl-

Im sorry to say I do not know how to hook up to the hose to run while the boat is out of water. Again, Im a newbie to the whole boating world and any help you can throw my way is sooo much appreciated!

I did take the boat for a ride with the seller and everything ran smooth. I'm wondering what I might have done in the week that I've owned the boat and trying to start it out of the water on the trailer. I have two questions if someone can help- I'd appreciate it:

1.) How do you run the motor while on the trailer with the a garden hose connected? I've heard of this but unsure of where to plug into boat.

2.) After removing the boat from the lake what steps should I take to keep proper care of the boat?

Again, thank you for any help in advance!

Flushing.....

Lift the engine cover and on the driver side, you should see a conncection for a water hose. Take off the cap and put your water hose in it.

Then, start the motor. When the motor is running, turn on the water till you see it come from the tale tell. You'll see water running from the pump, the exhaust, the tell tale and the outlet fitting of the flush at the back of the boat.......

You should always start motor, turn on water......turn off water, turn off boat.............after every use.

As for the battery going dead it could be a few things.

1. Not charging. You can check the voltage with a meter once you start it, it should be around 14 volts when the engine is running.

2. Bad battery. Follow Karl's advice and charge the batt then bring it to autozone for a free load test.

3. Something is sucking it down. Could be a bilge pump or lights or something left on.

Ok so I charged the battery and all looks well. However, when I connect the battery the bilge pump turns on (even though the switch is set to off) for about 10 seconds. Is this normal?!?
Perhaps some sort of safety switch or precautionary measure? I have no idea but as soon as I reconnect the battery cables I hear the bilge pump turn on, but again, for no more than 5-10 seconds. Can someone let me know if I should be looking out for something or if this is standard?

:agree: The bilge pump will always turn on for a short time when you first connect the battery, or if you change out fuses

You guys really are the best! You've been so helpful, I truly appreciate everyones input! I'm sure I'll have more questions to come- Thanks for everything so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back