96 GTX SBT Replacement help

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Springs are the silver I believe I haven't installed them yet so I can still fine tune them I am not sure if the arm levers are flush or not I will double check

There is your problem. You should have the black 80 gram springs not silver.
And 1.5 needles are seats.

The needle and seats came with the kit I ordered they are 1.5. The springs were already in the carbs, my question is the pop off pressure is still in spec, should I still change the springs

If your springs are silver then yes you need to change them to the correct 80 gram ones.

Ok I got the new springs in.. I will be putting them in and pop off testing them in about an hour... I forgot to ask does it matter if the hi and low screws are set before the pop off test will that make a difference

Be sure to use a little WD-40 or similar to lube the Seat and use safety glasses because the "pop" will cause the lube to potentially get into your eyes...

Ok both popped off at 35 psi I put them back together and started installing them.. didn’t get to far got tired so I will finish tomorrow sometime and I guess see what happens

Ok well it was getting late I finished hooking it all up and I figured I would crank it a couple times just too see what would happen I didn’t want to piss off my neighbors well... the fuel bowl strainer filter was completely dry and empty before starting I cranked on the engine for a couple seconds stopped and cranked again did this a couple times then stopped for the night no start but the fuel strainer bowl is full that wasn’t happening before so that’s a start I am gonna try to crank some more in the am I hope it starts

Ok... so Sunday morning update.... it fired up!!!! After some cranking but... the the engine is reving all the way up to 8000 RPM I adjusted the idle screw all the way out and same thing? No I am really confused I have no idea what to do or what is wrong I set the low and high to the stock settings... so what the hell is wrong now!!!!!

Reving like that is typically an air leak. Check to make sure a carb gasket did not move when you installed the carbs.

Also make sure you have the throttle cable adjusted correctly with a little slack so the butterflies close completely.

The carb gaskets are good, I put a dap of sealer to hold them in place, and I double checked them to make sure they were good

With the ski off the butterfly’s are about 1/8” open...

The cables are snug, how would I adjust them correctly.

On my last startup it would shut off when I hit the start stop button not sure if that would have anything to do with it I just thought I would mention it... let me know

You need to adjust the two 10 mm nuts on the end of the throttle cable that hold it to the body of the carb. The closer you get the end of the cable to the butterfly actuator the more it will close. That’s your problem. You should have 2mm of play in the thumb lever when the throttle is closed.

You start button is also a stop button. You don’t have to pull the lanyard all the time to kill it so that’s functioning properly.

I meant it wouldn’t shut off when I hit the start stop button again, ok I will get in there and do some adjustments and give it another try at least I’m getting somewhere it started!

That would indicate a lean runaway. Get the cable adjusted correctly and try again.
If it runs away again pull the choke to kill it.

Ok I haven’t had a chance to adjust the cable yet.. I have been getting home too late from work.. but I took a look yesterday and the 10mm nut on the inside, (left, closest to the carb or under it) is almost at the end of the threads on the cable, the thumb throttle has basically no play.. when you touch it, it moves the cable... so I want to adjust it further out? I may have only a couple threads left until it’s all the way out correct? May only be a couple turns...

I think you want to screw it in, not out. But I am not looking at one now. Usually screwing out makes the cable tighter, not looser.

Soccerdad is correct. You want the end of the cable closer to the throttle wheel, so thread the nuts on more towards the black jacket of the cable.

Ok so I finally got a chance to take a look I moved the nuts about halfway... I went to start it, it would kick over and shut right off.. I tried hitting the throttle to keep it going and it would bog down, stall.... so we are getting somewhere!!!! Do I need to adjust the cable more or now work with the idle screw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back