96 GTX SBT Replacement help

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, is the spring arm(fulcrum arm) straight across or bent up or down?

It should be flush across with the body assembly cover.
130.jpg

I can't remember exactly I think the pop was at 30-32 I believe, I'm not a 100% sure.. my tip with the rubber point on it looks like they are brand new no signs of wear and I can read the numbers on them.. should I be ok to rescue them?

I was I was better with 2 strokes this thing is turning out to be a pain for me.. but atleast when I'm done everything will be brand new and hopefully I can get it into the water next summer

That's okay if you can't recall the P/O pressure. You can do more tests when the Mikuni parts come in and you install them. Remember to do 3 pop off tests to get an average pressure for each carb.

I would just use the new needle/seats that are coming in the kits.

The tip with the rubber on it is the Viton tip(needle). The tip is coated for sealing purposes. That needle lifts up when the P/O pressure has been exceeded under the Valve where the needle sits in and allows fuel to flow. The spring is the "gate keeper" as it only allows fuel to flow as the fuel pressure builds under the valve. Once the P/O pressure exceeds the spring tension. That's when the fuel starts to flow. That is why Valve size(1.5 for yours), P/O, jets(142.5 Main & 70 Pilot), spring(in grams) and the carbs' passage ways like the Bypass holes all need to be squeaky clean and functioning properly so that the motor can draw fuel to feed the engine.

These machines can be a pain and will sometimes make you pull your hair out!

But you're a pro mechanic and have the skill set to work this out. You might feel a little unfamiliar at times. But folks on here have a lot of knowledge and know how from first hand experience working on them and will guide you to getting this ski going!

...and you've already said it. Everything will be ready for next season to ride the crap out of this ski and to have lots of fun and great memories as your smiling ear to ear with the wind and water in your hair!

But also recall this was a "project" ski. You know that projects take time to work on and to get up to speed.

So hang in there!

Ok sounds good I'll use all the parts that come in the kit, is there anything else I should order along with it? Or should I be good with everything it comes with and adding the viton tip needles.

The carb kits will have what you need and by adding the Viton needles which are not included in the kit. You'll be able to fully rebuild both carbs.

Ok Sounds Good, Placing my order now!! hopefully it wont take too long to get here... I also hope this fixes my issue and it fires right up!! but i will keep you updated on my progress! thanks!

The carb parts come from Mansfield, Ohio.

All orders to Los Angeles for me take about 3 days.

I hope it fixes it too! It's worth it in the end.

Keep Us updated!

Ok the parts should be here tomorrow or Wednesday I think tomorrow.....!!!!! Now do I paint these carbs when I am finished to help with corrosion and what not? And if so do I need to use special paint???

And with the factory air box should I replace that with one of those dual filter systems or factory is just as good?

On a stock ski stick with the stock airbox.

Don't bother painting the carbs unless you can seal them and sand blast them. New paint will just bubble up from the old corrosion.

Make sure they are sealed before the blasting as the media can plug the tiny passages and destroy the carbs.

Just leave the carbs alone and dont paint them. If you have access to a ultrasonic cleaner, give them a dip when they are a part as this will help with cleaning the internal passages and holes. Make sure the 3 small holes in the carb throat are clear. These become clogged and your ski wont run. After re-installing the carbs, run the fuel line directly to a bottle of pre-mix gas. This will cut out the tank and selector so you know you have direct flow to the carbs. You can splice in a small clear fuel filter to make sure your carbs are actually pulling fuel.

Ok got my carb kits today. Had the carbs already cleaned in my washer and dried out started putting the mag carb back together and they didn't send me the rubber o ring gasket and another rubber gasket????? Everything else seems to be in the kit but I was kind of disappointed about that... I should be doing my pop off test soon had to stop to get the kids to calm down... then I'll be back at it!

Update!!!!!

Finished with the mag carb pop off tested it about 5 times was consistent at 33psi waiting for the other carb to dry from the parts cleaner then I'll put that back together and test it

I believe you reuse the round o-ring (about $20 from Mikuni and purchased separately from the kit) and round(ish) square(ish) "o-ring" on the pump side.

The rebuilt carb sounds good! Jump on the PTO one now!

Once you get them back together, test pop off and then put the diaphragm and cover back on plug the return port and pump 10 psi into the inlet hose fitting. This will make sure you have no gasket leaks and the diaphragm isn't holding the needle open causing the engine to flood when not running.

Oh ok got ya, I will do this hopefully in a couple hours when I am done work then, I just have to re install and see what happens but again I am nervous that it still won't run.... that's the only thing that has me bothered... but I guess we will see... there did seem to be questionable pieces in the old carbs that looked a little gummed up so I hope this was the issue... I'll find out

Ok, just finished the second carb, the pop off pressure was right around 40psi... so now what are my next steps is that too much of a difference between the two carbs? I did test the carb at 10psi no leaks on either one... well let me know thanks!!

The pop range for a 96 GTX is 23-43 psi.

Yours are at 33 & 40 psi. So to me that's well within the range of "good".

If there's zero leaks during the pressure test. I would call it good and re-install them.
20.png

Ok I wasn't sure if they each should be closer in the pop of range? That's what I was confused about one being a lot higher then the other but if you say they are good I will re install and go from there

If it were mine I would want them under 5 psi difference.

What springs were used? Where the levers at the same level with the body of the carbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back