96 GTX Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MC87SS

I got to take the 96 GTX out for a good test run tonight.
After a 10 min run at WOT i let off the gas to come into the landing and the oil light came on, turned off the ski and when i started it again it was off. This happened many times. The oil tank is full, is the light hooked up to a float in the tank or does it have a sensor that somehow knows if its not getting enough oil?

Ski ran at 6500 Rpm at WOT and with my 230 pounds on it was running at 40 to 45 MPH according to the on board speedometer. Does this sound about right?

Hoping to take the 95 & 96 to St Augustine this weekend but am concerned with the oil light.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

The oil light is triggered by a float switch in the tank, so as long as you have plenty of oil in the tank you'll be O.K. My oil light comes on with just a little less than a half tank.

Lou

My 97 Gtx will run 6850-6950 at 56-58 on the Seadoo speedo

So i wonder why mine is so low, if it was a wear ring issue the RPM's would be higher.
Would fuel starvation or pop off pressure cause this? Rave Valves need adjusting?
I guess i need to get a couple sets of new plugs so i can get some readings.

The oil light is triggered by a float switch in the tank, so as long as you have plenty of oil in the tank you'll be O.K. My oil light comes on with just a little less than a half tank.
Lou

That's what i was hoping, thanks

I agree with Lou about the oil tank light. :)

My 96 GTX will run at 6950 -7000 RPM at WOT, with the speed being about 55-58 on the dream-o-meter.
I would check the the throttle cable at the carbs to make sure it's "opening" all the way.
Are you raves nice & Clean????

RAVE Valves are clean, just did them and made new gaskets, how about adjustment?

Never thought about the throttle cable, i'll check that.

Can anyone tell me what plugs to use? The ones in there just say NGK R no numbers.
My 95 uses the BR8ES, is the 96 the same?

Last edited by a moderator:
Same plugs, NGK BR8ES. Rave valve adjustment is a matter of personal preference, the factory setting is even with the top of the cap, I like mine set at about three turns in, they open at about 5000rpm.

Lou

Last edited by a moderator:
Replace the oil tank level sensor. Its bad. Its probly time to also replace the two 3'32"id Tygon (weedeater fuel) oil lines from the oil pump to rv cover. They get brittle and we advise to change them every year.

Bills86e

Last edited by LouDoo; Today at 08:53 AM. Reason: speeling
That's funny Lou

Also, if your speed is not up to par, I would check your wear ring clearance. Should be no more than .40 MM.... a little less than the thickness of a dime.

Have you checked out your water regulator? I would take it apart clean it and replace the bellows if needed. That could be your missing rpms

I already changed the oil injector lines a couple weeks ago.
The throttle cable needed a little adjustment but doubt the small amount it was off will make to much of a difference.

Is this the water regulator?

IMAG0759_zps6605c1e2.jpg

If so i did take that apart to find the band that holds the bellows had come loose and the small screw for the clamp was laying inside.
I cleaned it and put it back together. There is an opening in the back with threads, is that supposed to hook up to anything?

IMAG0760_zps375442e9.jpg

I guess i will find out if its any better Friday once i get to St Augustine and try it out.

Yes that is your water regulator. Sometimes the metal clamp will rust and poke a hole in the bellows. Open it up and take a look

I didn't see any holes but i will get a new one just in case, it didn't look to be in great shape.
Is something supposed to hook up to the threaded area in the back?

Nothing connects to the threaded area in the side, it's probably there for another application.

Lou

So i got to take the skis out this weekend in the St Augustine area.
On the 96 GTX it would still only hit 6400RPM and 45MPH.
I adjusted the throttle cable to the open all the way up, cleaned the water regulator & put in new spark plugs. I was not able to read the plugs due to the location and the long No Wake Zone up to the landing.
What would be the next things in line to check?

Got a chance tonight to pull the plugs.
These were new and have just under a full tank of gas use on them.
I did about an equal amount of WOT runs and 30 MPH cruising. About a 2 min no wake zone ride at the end.
The back plug looks to me to have corrosion or rust starting on it. Do you guys agree?
Would that be a leaking head gasket? Would that cause the max RPM of 6400 and 45 MPH?

536.jpg

Yeah, I'd pull the head off and take a look at the o rings. Don't keep running it like that, it won't last. I would also run it on rhe trailer for a minute (without hose, not too long watch the temp) and fog the engine to help protect it from water that might still be in there. The head is easy to get off anyway.

Got the head off, looks like it was getting water in the back cylinder.
Here is some pictures, what do you think?
Does everything look ok?
Good cleaning and o-ring change?
Any tips on cleaning or install?

571.jpg

IMAG0798_zpse9a5fcb9.jpg

572.jpg

573.jpg

574.jpg

575.jpg

576.jpg

Got everything cleaned up, decided to polish the combustion chamber while it was apart.
I guess i need to paint it now.
Hopefully the O-Rings will arrive tomorrow.

578.jpg

579.jpg

580.jpg

581.jpg

I usually use liquid Teflon on head bolts when i am building car engines, is it ok to use that on these also or is there something else i should use.
The liquid teflon acts as a anti seize as well as a sealer.

I also want to flush the water lines while everything is apart, is it ok to just hook op a hose to the ends that hooked to the head or will that flood something that should not be?

My O-Ring kit did not arrive today so i guess i have to wait until Monday night to put it back together. I noticed there was new oil in the bottom of the hull, doesn't look like its coming from the tank, main line or small injector lines. I have read about a bleed valve but don't know where it is. Looked on the attached diagram and assume its #55 but can't find where it is. Is there any other oil lines under the engine?

587.jpg

My 97 Gtx leaks oil from the grommet on the bottom of the tank. Also the 2 piece tanks are known to leak at the seal. It's pretty common

It doesn't appear to be leaking from the front, i checked the hose to make sure it wasn't dripping down that but the line is clean & dry.
Has to be coming somewhere from the oil injector back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back