96 GTX - Help with Speedometer and Multi Function Gauge

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rayrick

Hi all. Thanks to info posted on this forum and others, I was successful in rebuilding the fuel system on a 96 GTX I just acquired. Great sticky post on the carb rebuild. Wow. So helpful.

Anyway, moving on to other components that don't work. Hoping to get a list of things I can check on each.

First, speedometer.
The paddle wheel is there, and spins freely. I've read maybe the sensor is bad...maybe the sensor is corroded inside? Is there a fuse in that brain box for the speedo? Has anyone experienced the gauge itself failing? Any help on what to check for here would be great.

Same with the multi function gauge. It's just blank. It looks like the before pic in this rebuild kit...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-Older-style-SeaDoo-Multi-function-Gauge-Repair/223195028654
The float in the fuel baffle is there and moving...but I don't know if the magnet is there. Regardless, the rest of the Multi function gauge doesn't work either. I don't know if the circuit board in the fuel baffle is working...apparently there is a fuse in there that blows? Does this gauge have a fuse in the brain box?

What else should I be checking to get the multi function gauge to work? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Plenty of information on that stuff already on the forum. I just posted on an old thread about the Info Gauge. There are speedometer threads with great information. Gauges are indeed a Pain. Good Luck !

I had to replace the components in the speedo pickup which holds the paddlewheel, as mentioned, check the other discussions.....
In my case, both the speedos, analogue and digital did not register, and the testing process of the pickup indicated that it was out of spec . . .
As far as the gauge not working, perhaps it was flooded, I have had some success in taking out the electronics, soaking the board in CLR, then rinse with distilled water, and dry with compressed air . . . . depends on how much damage is on the board, rust, corrosion, etc.

I had to replace the components in the speedo pickup which holds the paddlewheel, as mentioned, check the other discussions.....
In my case, both the speedos, analogue and digital did not register, and the testing process of the pickup indicated that it was out of spec . . .
As far as the gauge not working, perhaps it was flooded, I have had some success in taking out the electronics, soaking the board in CLR, then rinse with distilled water, and dry with compressed air . . . . depends on how much damage is on the board, rust, corrosion, etc.

Thank you! That helps. I know I can get a replacement pickup. Do you think that the info gauge is just a matter of the LCD polarizer film having deteriorated past the point where it's visible? In other words, the gauge works, I just can't see it. How would I know if the info gauge is bad or if it's working and I just can't see it?

Agreed, it could just be the film, what is there to loose if you remove it and then look at it? If it works, you can order the repair kit and replace the film, if not, now you know.

Be careful of purchasing a replacement pickup, some have two wires, some with three (if there is a water temp sensor in it too). And a working used one can fail at anytime, some I see advertised just state "as is" (may or may not work). Since the parts were about 5$ and 2 hours time to fix it myself I took that route.

As I am sure you know, you can contact www.westsidepowersports.com and it is quite likely they have the exact gauge which would replace yours if it is indeed broken.

Based on this pic, would you say it needs film replaced? This is the first time I've noticed the tidbits of numbers...as I was looking at it from the side...they faded quickly.

Attachments

• MF gauge.jpg
    MF gauge.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 19
Yes, looks like it is just the bezel that is damaged, does the display update when you press the select key, cycling between time, tach, speed, temps, etc?

Download the service manual, and follow it to check out the speedo pickup, or read the other speedo threads in the forum, and determine if the pickup is at fault.

I can't see it trying to cycle thru anything when the buttons are pressed but the display went away so fast it was hard to tell. Imma order the rebuild kit and see if that gets it done. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back