96 GTX Clicks on start - not solenoid

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rshaw

So I've got a 96 GTX which I just had the top end done over the winter and it was running great all last week. I took it out a couple days ago and was heading out of the docks when I accidently pulled the key while idling and when I put it back in all I got was the click from the solenoid. So I started to diagnose the issue which started with jumping the solenoid which resulted in nothing, starter didn't turn over or anything. Still I swapped out the solenoid with another GTX I have and got the same result which made me think it was the starter. I pulled out the starter and replaced it with a spare old one I had and it started up again. I took it out on the water and it started and stopped the first few times just fine, then I hear the dreaded "click" again from the solenoid. I just find it really odd that it can run fine for an hour then just stop.

Any advice on what this could be? A lose connection somewhere maybe? Starter button?

- The leads looked clear and rust free when I replaced the starter
- I've checked the front fuse box and all the fuses are good.
- I had a battery powered jump starter with me so the battery should have had charge enough for that not too cause it.
- Starter was just replaced so I doubt its that
- Solenoid was just swapped with another one

Thanks in advance guys!

Get the battery load tested. Remove main cable connections, clean them, use dielectric grease and reinstall.

Yeah I think that'll be my next step is clean all the connections, and check there's no lose wires. I'll update after I get time to do it. Thanks!

Just an update. Pulled the starter and replaced it again and it booted up. Pulled the starter I put on and IT WAS FILLED WITH WATER, which is an odd thing considering I've never dumped it. Anyway thanks for all the advice guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back