96 GTI - run-away rpm, or will not drop to idle from mid range.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

claya

96 GTI. Very difficult to start. 720cc? It might be a 750cc ( how can I tell?) I get run-away at mid throttle on land. On the water horrible bogging at mid/full throttle. (It has always had full throttle bogging since I got it. (I also have a 95GTX that runs perfect after a carb re-build.)

I have had the carbs professionally re-built/cleaned twice. Reduced Pop-off from 70psi to 46psi. Crankcase pressure test: 0psi loss, 5minutes @ 9psi. No obvious vacuum leakage at base or intake gasket. Base gaskets look thin, yet good. (I added RTV gasket seal the last test). Choke on start does nothing. It takes either starter fluid, or gas down the carb to start. Once started, Idles just fine. When run-away happens at mid throttle, choke settles it back to a stable idle. Compression is 150&151psi. One plug is always wetter than the other. Ran for at least 2 seasons with the oil injection pump way too rich (return spring not connected). Have NOT checked the throttle shaft seals, yet. (My carb re-builder just suggested that. )

Both Skis have very low pressure on the pee/weap water indicator. This has always bothered me. Is there a way to improve/correct that? Could it be related to the GTI issue?

I am SO done with this GTI. And carbs in general. For the last 3 seasons till now, it ran OK on land, but on water was awful. I have not even attempted to put them in the water this season.
All suggestions welcome.

Back