96 gsx starting issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

air9

Looking for some help here guys. Been chasing a starting issue all season.

Put key on. Get the 2 beeps every time. Hit the start button, sometimes I get a clunk. Sometimes it's a click. Sometimes it turns over. Sometimes nothing at all. I was able to get the ski started a few times during these symptoms.

Now if I shut the ski off after getting it to run and try to restart it, nothing. Won't start. Sometimes I'll get the 2 beeps. Or gauges won't turn on. Sometimes there is a 12v low. Starter won't turn. Or clicks. Etc...

3 fresh agm batteries. Fully charged and load tested. New starter solenoid. Jumped the old solenoid and starter would turn. P.O. had brushes done on starter a few years ago. Sanded down connections at battery and neg on starter. Engine turns over easily by hand with plugs out.

What else should I be looking at here? I'm thinking it's a short somewhere or a bad ground. What am I missing?

My next step is to get a new set of positive and negative cables. I don't want to start throwing money at the wrong parts though.

Any help is appreciated.

If jumping the starter works everytime, then it is the signal to the solenoid. So Matt is likely correct. A switch issue or upstream connections. It would not be the cables since you are proving they work.

I would prove it if you can first. Disconnect it and make some jumpers that you can use instead of the switch. If connecting them and disconnecting them works, then buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back