96 GSX occasionally sputtered but would clear up....Probably going to rebuild the carbs...what kit to use? Should I upgrade to bigger carbs?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire3456

The Symptoms:

My 96 GSX would run but has started to sputter occasionally. After playing with the throttle to keep it running, it would eventually clear up and I'd take off. I'm afraid to take it too far now.

The problem:

I changed plugs (It was about time anyway) and asked a Sea Doo mechanic what a good carb cleaner would be. (I figured that was the most obvious problem). He gave me this carb 'foam' and said it was the best. I started the engine and sprayed the foam into the carbs without killing the engines. As I then shut the engine off (Per the instructions) and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. I came back and now the engine will not start. Not even a 'pop' from the plugs. I tried some starting fluid in the carbs and still not even a 'Pop".

The only thing I can think of is that the foam dislodged some dirt/grime and it is blocking the gas. But for it to not even 'Pop" when I tried starting fluid stumped me. My next step is to inject some gas into the spark plug holes and see of I get a "Pop'.

My Project:

I will take the carbs off. Everything is off so it's not that much extra work to pull the carbs.

My Dilemma:
Now.....obviously I'll get a rebuild kit. But should I get a kit that will beef up the power a little. Larger jets? Or maybe even put larger carbs on to get a little extra power? If so...what kit should I get?

I'll never outgrow the mentality of...."I have it apart...why not make it better!" ha!

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Carb Cleaner.jpg
    Carb Cleaner.jpg
    347.4 KB · Views: 3
It is highly unlikely but.... the short answer is you could have messed up your engine as that cleaner and the starting fluid will not get into anywhere in the carbs that can do any good but will remove all the 2-stroke oil from your internal engine components.

Nothing "in a can" will fix a seadoo carb or do any good.

No, no bigger carbs, no bigger jets are going to give you more power without investing a lot more time and money.

Follow the Seadoo Carb Rebuild Thread to the letter. Seadoo Carb Rebuild Thread.

I love it when "Seadoo Mechanics" give great advice like your did....not.

It is highly unlikely but.... the short answer is you could have messed up your engine as that cleaner and the starting fluid will not get into anywhere in the carbs that can do any good but will remove all the 2-stroke oil from your internal engine components.

Nothing "in a can" will fix a seadoo carb or do any good.

No, no bigger carbs, no bigger jets are going to give you more power without investing a lot more time and money.

Follow the Seadoo Carb Rebuild Thread to the letter. Seadoo Carb Rebuild Thread.

I love it when "Seadoo Mechanics" give great advice like your did....not.
It sure sounded sensible when the mechanic told me. I did this project yesterday and and going to spray some WD-40 into the carbs as to not "dry' out any of the parts? Is this sensible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back