96 GSX no start signal from MPEM

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JMAN1

Hello everyone,

GSX went from starting perfectly to only sometimes activating the starter when pressing the start stop button and then not at all. I opened up the black starter relay box in the rear and pulled the signal plug off the top of the solenoid; when I hit the start stop button, my multimeter only blips continuity (between the black and yelllw/red wire) for a brief second when I press the start stop button, no matter how long I press it.
I unplugged the start stop button wires before it goes into the MPEM and the meter shows continuity there when pressing the button. When I let the display turn off naturally after putting the DESS key on the post and it display is lit for 30seconds; pressing the start stop button only lights the display for a second and then it turns off. I don't remember this as normal.

So my question is: is it a problem in the MPEM? All fuses check fine and the solenoid turns over the starter when jumped.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
I opened up the black starter relay box in the rear and pulled the signal plug off the top of the solenoid; when I hit the start stop button, my multimeter only blips continuity (between the black and yelllw/red wire) for a brief second when I press the start stop button, no matter how long I press it.
I think you should be looking for a 12V signal on the yellow/red wire referenced to ground (black wire) for as long as the start button is held, not continuity between those 2 wires.
When I let the display turn off naturally after putting the DESS key on the post and it display is lit for 30seconds; pressing the start stop button only lights the display for a second and then it turns off. I don't remember this as normal.
But the fact that the MPEM lights the display for 30 seconds with the key but then only for a second with the start button (the key should not be on the post) is troubling because a momentary contact of the start button should also light the display for 30 seconds also if the MPEM is behaving normally. I would check the condition of the battery to see if the 12V is dropping when the start button is pressed for some reason.

I wouldn't troubleshoot the ski by the performance of the gauges. Those things are retarded. I've had a few that wouldn't power up for 33 seconds but worked fine when the key was installed. I'd do the simple stuff first. Check the plugs on the wires and continuity. Check your grounds especially the one on the starter and battery voltage drop when you depress the start button. Good Luck !! Does that engine have a ground wire coming from the rear electrical black box to the battery??

Last edited:
I think you should be looking for a 12V signal on the yellow/red wire referenced to ground (black wire) for as long as the start button is held, not continuity between those 2 wires.
yes I realized my mistake afterwards. I'm fairly certain it is only blinking 12v as thats what the relay internal to the MPEM does. clicks on and immediately off when the start stop is pressed. I will double check tonight though.
But the fact that the MPEM lights the display for 30 seconds with the key but then only for a second with the start button (the key should not be on the post) is troubling because a momentary contact of the start button should also light the display for 30 seconds also if the MPEM is behaving normally. I would check the condition of the battery to see if the 12V is dropping when the start button is pressed for some reason.
The battery is brand new and cranks the engine without issue when jumping across the poles on starting solenoid.
I wouldn't troubleshoot the ski by the performance of the gauges. Those things are retarded. I've had a few that wouldn't power up for 33 seconds but worked fine when the key was installed. I'd do the simple stuff first. Check the plugs on the wires and continuity. Check your grounds especially the one on the starter and battery voltage drop when you depress the start button. Good Luck !! Does that engine have a ground wire coming from the rear electrical black box to the battery??
I have continuity from the start button before the CDI/ MPEM but after the yellow/red wire comes out of the MPEM it only blips continuity with the black (ground) wire when pressing the start stop button. Yes it has the ground wire from the black box.

You never mention anything about the beeper when you put the key on the post. Do you get the normal 2 short beeps? If your beeper is not working then I would replace it to see if it is giving you some other signal to indicate what's wrong.

Ah the old battery is brand new answer.butvin reality it was bought at the beginning of the season never ever putt on a battery charger and it sat for a month with out use and now won't start.just a rant sorry.put a charger on your battery and slow charge it for 5-6 hours.then proceed to check stuff.those ignitions work off of the battery and if voltage and amps are low makes them do stupid stuff.

Just to wrap this thread up:

It ended up just being the starter solenoid. I'm not sure whats up with the weird short flashing of the display when hitting the start stop button but it doesn't seem to have any effect on the actual starting and running of the ski.
I got 12v+ reading from the yellow red and ground start signal wires so I decided to just try replacing the solenoid. That worked. Ski starts like normal now.
I will definitely be replacing the beeper next. Its hard work around the plastics on it though with the temps being below freezing out.. ahh well, until next season!
Thanks for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back